I-01 question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
slandreth

I-01 question

Post by slandreth »

I received my PPL about a year ago. This last Summer I started reading books, watching videos, etc. in preparation to start my IFR training. I am going to incorporate PE in to that. Last night I looked over the I-01 rating transcript and followed the route on my IFR Low Enroute Chart. In the transcript, SNAKE is mentioned. I assume this is an intersection but I can't find it on my LE Chart or VFR Sectional. I have an IPAD with Foreflight that I use for real world flying and I can enter it in there and a dot shows up on the LE chart where I assume SNAKE is but there is no text on the chart to give me a hint. Is this something that is used with GPS only? Thanks in advance for the help.
Alex Stjepanovic

Re: I-01 question

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Check the ILS approach plate for ILS 19R at SNA :)
slandreth

Post by slandreth »

Okay, I see it now. Thanks for the help.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Seth,

One procedural note regarding the ratings that might save you a lot of time...the 'required materials' section of the rating is usually very helpful. You'll notice that for the I-1, it shows the airport facility diagram and the ILS approach plate. Those are the two things you need to complete that rating. The low-enroute, TAC or sectional are not overly useful for this rating.

Also, check out the video that comes with the rating, http://training.pilotedge.net/object/zla_i1_video.html, it can help, too.

Best of luck!
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Seth,

As I was making my way through the rating I also found the transcript that is including as part of the preparation materials extremely useful. It gave me a good sense of what to expect during a "live" flight (and they're also occasionally quite amusing).

The ratings are hard work, requiring study, preparation and practice -- but it's very rewarding to get a 'pass'. I flew all of them at least once as a practice flight before I requested a 'check ride' (and remember that you need to explicitly state when you're flying a rating attempt -- you can do that in the comments section of your flight plan request or when you contact clearance delivery).
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)