V-03 transcript incorrect?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
BeechV35Pilot

V-03 transcript incorrect?

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

I am about to launch into my V-03 test and was looking over the V-03 transcript.

In there the dialog begins with the pilot calling ground control at John Wayne Airport. Being that John Wayne is a class C airport shouldn't the pilot be requesting even a VFR departure through clearance delivery, not ground? Or is there something unique to JW airport that the controllers there will allow VFR to call up ground or a clearance?

IRL I am based at Syracuse, NY, a class C airport, and all VFR departures must use clearance.
Regards,
Peter
theskunk

Re: V-03 transcript incorrect?

Post by theskunk »

Peter,

@ any class C field, unless instructed to do so, I've always been told to contact Clearance for VFR departures. That being said, if the A/FD has it stated that 'outside certain hours contact ground' or something like that, I'd go with the A/FD. That being said, currently on sky vector, I don't see anything in the A/FD that says anything related to this.

I'd also listen to ATIS and see if it says anything about that, too.
BeechV35Pilot

Re: V-03 transcript incorrect?

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

theskunk wrote:@ any class C field, unless instructed to do so, I've always been told to contact Clearance for VFR departures. That being said, if the A/FD has it stated that 'outside certain hours contact ground' or something like that, I'd go with the A/FD. That being said, currently on sky vector, I don't see anything in the A/FD that says anything related to this.

I'd also listen to ATIS and see if it says anything about that, too.
Before I took the flight I actually did check the A/FD notes (via Airnav.com) for that airport to be sure I didn't miss something. ATIS is not provided by PilotEdge (yet?) but rather the sim itself so I suspect a nuance like that would not be simulated over ATIS. But in real life, I agree.

In the end it was non-issue. The PE controller interacted on clearance delivery.
Regards,
Peter