Overflying prison south of Chino

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Sabre

Overflying prison south of Chino

Post by Sabre »

I'm flying VFR with Flight Following from KSNA to KONT, approaching from the south via Chino at 2300 feet. Do I have to ask ONT_APP (with whom I established communication earlier) to leave frequency for Class D transition request from Chino tower? How should I (at least) plan my communications in this strip of airspace ( 2-4 miles south to north) when flying with the above parameters? It is quite congested with ATC (ONT_APP, CNO_TWR and ONT_TWR) all in one place. Please also give an example if you're flying the above without flight following, from the moment of establishing communication with ONT_APP and on to ONT_TWR.

Thanks,
Igor.
Alex Stjepanovic

Re: Overflying prison south of Chino

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

There were a number of threads about this before. They were either in General or Pilot forums. If you can find them, the answers might help.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Thanks for the pointer, Alex. I like this solution to my question:
Keith Smith wrote: If the pilot has advised ATC of their route, and the route is gong to take them through Class D airspace, then in absence of hearing anything from ATC to the contrary, the transition has probably been coordinated.
:)

Cheers,
Igor.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

This is actually the ultimate answer to my question (quoting it here for my own reference):
scottcame wrote:You're right, the limits of Class D are 5 sm typically, though as Keith says the boundary is as depicted on the chart. Remember that all you need to enter Class D is two-way radio contact with the controlling facility...meaning, the tower controller reads back your call sign.

To be safe (per the thread Alex referenced) it is a good idea, if you're talking to TRACON, to inform them of your intentions to transition the Class D, and ask if they can negotiate the transition for you.

Notwithstanding the purpose of the V2 to get FF on the ground at SNA... If I were flying this route and didn't get a beacon code from ground, I'd just switch to 135.4 as soon as SNA SoCal cut me loose. If i really wanted to fly below the ceiling of the Chino delta...say 2500... I'd just ask for a transition all at once. Something like... SoCal, Columbia 400sc 14 SSW at 2500 with Ontario ATIS whatever, request a descent thru the Chino Class D and a full stop landing Ontario. I assume if SoCal didn't want to handle the transition they'd instruct me to contact chino.

But I'd probably avoid the extra hassle and just stay at 3000. Note that at 3000, you need to make and remain in two-way radio contact with SoCal while in the Class C. (And you need an encoding transponder.)
Cheers,
Igor.