Selecting SIDs, STARs and IAPs(?) Automatically

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Calvin Waterbury

Selecting SIDs, STARs and IAPs(?) Automatically

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Is there a way to select a SID, STAR & IAP (SS&I) without having to randomly search for an appropriate plate (they are called "plates" aren't they?)? Seems like there might be an automated way to identify the DEP/ARR airport's correct SS&I using wind direction, runway selection, etc. and directly select the most appropriate SS&I. Does this tool exist or am I missing something?
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Peter Grey

Re: Selecting SIDs, STARs and IAPs(?) Automatically

Post by Peter Grey »

That tool would be an instrument rating :D

There is no real automated tool for this. Experience will give you a good ability to guess what you are going to get, until then here are some good rules.

SIDs: Most SIDs are designed for jet traffic, if you are flying a piston powered aircraft *generally* you will not be assigned a SID. If you are flying a jet you should expect a SID if the airport has one. In my time flying piston aircraft (~2500 hours) I have flown a SID three times (2 of which were the same SID out of VNY). However, if you look through the SIDs and see one that is not "turbojet only", has proper altitudes for what your airplane can do, and is in the proper direction, file it.

STAR: Same as SIDs, I've only been assigned a STAR twice (one of which was well beyond the airplanes capabilities so I refused it).

IAP: The most common approach flown on an IFR flight is.... the visual. It's the easiest for all involved. If the weather is good and there isn't some reason to use it (like separation) you can expect a visual. If weather doesn't allow for it *generally* ATC will assign approaches in the following preference:

ILS
Loc and Loc type approaches (LDA, SDF, etc)
RNAV/GPS (at some airports this would be assigned before the LOC)
VOR
Other

However, you are always free to ask for another approach.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Calvin Waterbury

Re: Selecting SIDs, STARs and IAPs(?) Automatically

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Thanks Peter. That sort of fleshes it out for me. Now I know why I couldn't make all the pieces fit. I mainly fly props/turboprops in the sims. The fact SIDs/STARs are not really designed for them answers why I haven't been able to make a good fit with my style of flying.

I have finished my I-5, but am I going to have to get more comfortable flying a jet before I will be able to effectively continue through to my I-11? My guess is the ratings allow for non-turbojet aircraft, but I am asking about more practical considerations.

@Keith - Since you are the author, feel free to offer your perspective of pursuing the ratings. Thanks.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD