V-03 Help

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
spaz926

V-03 Help

Post by spaz926 »

Hello everybody,
I'm having some trouble figuring out what I need to do for my V03 rating. If somebody could maybe send me some good reference material for this that'd be great.
Keith Smith

Re: V-03 Help

Post by Keith Smith »

The V-3 rating requires you to fly 2 published transitions of the LAX Class Bravo, and then to land at LAX. It includes a transcript, video, and descriptions of how to fly most of the available transitions.

Which aspect of the flight is giving you trouble?
davisd100

Post by davisd100 »

Me too. The entry to the Coastal is easy enough, but the geometry of the northern part is really artificial. How you make the transition from (say) the Mini to a left downwind to RWY 25 is weird. In IFR you would get vectored, but in VFR if you do a wide arc to lose altitude to circuit height and position properly for the circuit the controller has kittens. Given the sharp altitude changes implied by any other approach, I felt like I should be flying a Stuka not a Cessna! ;)
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

I won't get into the matters of how this ought to be done, from the point of view of a real world pilot. However he's an enhanced image of a TAC, showing the limits of the route and the affected airspace.

From the point of view of a PE controller, who's seen an increase in these transitions lately, it seems that people are most confused with when they are allowed to leave the route and how far its limits stretch.

As can be seen, there really shouldn't be any quick turns into downwind accompanied by a JU-87 dive, simply because the route is not yet finished :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Davis, you are quite right and the plan is to modify it so you don't have to land at LAX on pilotedge.

In fact, I will change this now.
davisd100

Post by davisd100 »

Keith,

Yes I could do it fine enough but I haven't done sideslips in circuit like that since landing in tiny fields in Canada 30 years ago! That notwithstanding this is a fantastic service. I am trying out online flying for the first time since, having given up real flying a long time ago, and PE gives it a real edge of realism.

Regards

David
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

davisd100 wrote:but in VFR if you do a wide arc to lose altitude to circuit height and position properly for the circuit the controller has kittens. Given the sharp altitude changes implied by any other approach, I felt like I should be flying a Stuka not a Cessna! ;)
I simply let the LAX tower controller know that I wanted to land at LAX after completing the Bravo transition, and he cleared me to make left traffic for 25L as soon as I crossed that runway. After making the downwind turn I asked for an extended downwind to lose altitude -- which was granted immediately. It was quite painless.

Still, it's a very artificial situation and I'm glad to hear that the landing requirement at LAX is going to be removed.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Alright, took a bit longer to get to this than I thought. But, it's done. The flight terminates at Torrance now instead of LAX.