CloudAhoy debrief of my I-6 flight

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
gavink42

CloudAhoy debrief of my I-6 flight

Post by gavink42 »

Below is a link to the CloudAhoy debrief of my I-6 flight that I just completed.

Got distracted on the outbound leg of the hold in lieu of procedure turn. Ran a little long after I missed the stopwatch hitting a minute. Other than that, it was a nice flight.

I especially like the way the 3D view shows the localizer width overlayed on the map!

http://www.cloudahoy.com/cgi-bin/fltSha ... zBo69S1DyP

Gavin
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
davisd100

Re: CloudAhoy debrief of my I-6 flight

Post by davisd100 »

Nicely done. How do you get the data into Cloudahoy, I thought that it only did real flights on the iphone? Or can you get your data into the ipad/iphone somehow?

David
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

Thanks, David!

My setup includes FSX, the GPSSimCable, iPad 2, ForeFlight and CloudAhoy (plus a few other things). Guess I could put it all into a signature sometime.

Every app I've tried so far that relies on iPad GPS has accepted the FSX GPS data thru the GPSSimCable.

I've been in email contact with CA's developer, and he has no problem with us PE folks using his app and service.

Gavin
- Cherokee 180C owner
davisd100

Post by davisd100 »

Terrific, I have just ordered myself a GPSSimcable, I would have done so before if I had realised it would work with Foreflight! Regrettably we cannot get a copy of CloudAhoy in Britain, but I will see if I can get that changed. I am going to Florida in a few weeks to do an FAA IFR, so I might have a real world use for it there. I am plugging my way through the I-ratings, as I suspect you are. It is an interesting way to do my studies!

If I can get the CloudAhoy software it will make the debrief all the better.

Thanks for the insights.

David
davisd100

Post by davisd100 »

Gavin

What software setup is needed to make the GPSSimCable work with Foreflight? Does FSUIPC need to be configured in some particular way?

Regards

David
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Your best bet would be to speak with the developer over at http://gpssimcable.com/, but afaik, you don't install any software the IPad at all. The cable is recognized as a GPS device/antenna, so there's no modification required within ForeFlight.
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

davisd100 wrote:Gavin

What software setup is needed to make the GPSSimCable work with Foreflight? Does FSUIPC need to be configured in some particular way?

Regards

David
Hi David,

Best bet is to contact the developer for questions prior to purchase. After you buy, you'll get access to their support page. They've got full instructions that depend on your sim version. Took me about 15 minutes to set it all up.

There is a free app that gets installed onto the iPad, but that's the extent of anything you'll need to do to it. All of my GPS-dependent apps accept the FSX GPS data as if it were real.

I didn't realize it initially, but the registered version of FSUIPC is required for use with FSX. That's because the free version doesn't allow configuration of most things.

I was initially put off by having to purchase additional software. But when I realized the full capabilities of FSUIPC, I had no problem buying it!

Gavin
- Cherokee 180C owner
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Gavin,

Maybe you can shed some light on that for me...

I have Foreflight running and showing position of my plane in X-Plane.

I have CloudAhoy application on my Ipad as well and running.

I have location services for Foreflight and CloudAhoy turned on.

I see the message sort of " Internal GPS available).

I do my flight in X-Plane, shut down the plane, I go to CloudAhoy to debrief and I get the message that no flight was recorded.

CloudAhoy simply does not see my flight in X-Plane with Foreflight.

What I am doing wrong?

I looked at the settings and I do not see anything letting me select what source of CloudAhoy should see for my flight.

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

AJ,

I'm not sure how X-Plane is getting the GPS info into ForeFlight, but I remember hearing they were working on something together. Unless you have something like the GPSSimCable, none of your other apps will be able to see the sim GPS.

If you are using the GPSSimCable, there may be a configuration issue. If that's the case, I'd suggest contacting them for support.

Gavin
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

AJ, I don't think CloudAhoy pulls flight data from Foreflight. Instead, it's probably pulling whatever GPS signal it's receiving. Since the wireless linkage between X-Plane and Foreflight (the one that was added in the recent version of XP10 and ForeFlight) is NOT a pseudo-GPS signal, CloudAhoy is not going to see it.

As Gavin eludes to, you'll need to use the GPSSimCable if you want to push GPS-like data to ALL apps on the IPad.