I-3 Filing question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
wdhurley

I-3 Filing question

Post by wdhurley »

Hey guys, I am studying up on my first TEC route. I plan to fly a Lancair Legacy, so i will be on the lower altitude route. Keith has the route to file as SLI V23 POPPR SMO125R SMO SMO311R SILEX. My question is why do I need the SMO125R and SMO311R? I understand, those are the radials I will be flying, but is it necessary to file them since I would be flying from POPPR to SMO to Silex? I am a R/W VFR pilot with very little IFR experience.
Steven Winslow

Re: I-3 Filing question

Post by Steven Winslow »

If you want Clearance to give you a lengthy read-back rather than a simple "fly yada yada then as filed", go ahead and file the route without the radials. The other night I flew a TEC route out of SBA, but I added the KWANG5.KWANG departure to the beginning of TEC route string and the controller came back with my clearance basically read me the whole TEC route, thus forcing me to write it down and read it back to him, even though what I had filed was in reality the same thing. Make sense? Just file the TEC route the way it appears and you'll be good to go.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Re: I-3 Filing question

Post by Keith Smith »

The TEC routes are predicated upon non-RNAV equipped aircraft, hence the presence of the radials.

Steve, there was no operational need for the controller to give you a full route clearance if the rest of your route matched the TEC route. I'm not sure what happened there. That does happen to me in the r/w quite a bit, though. Basically, I dutifully write the route down until it gets to the part that matches what I filed...I then follow what they're saying with the printed/filed route...and just mark up any differences from that point on (there usually aren't). That does the trick.

Depending on how it comes out of the computer in the r/w, the computer might mark the whole strip as amended, in which case the controller can't see which part is new, vs what you filed, so that could be why you get a FRC in real life. It shouldn't necessarily happen on PE, though, since our internal strip marking is different (for now).