I-3 Checkride Question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
SoCal_Pilot

I-3 Checkride Question

Post by SoCal_Pilot »

After 2 unsuccessful attempts at passing the I-3 checkride, I'm trying to figure out how to get it right.

Essentially SNA clearance tells me to fly heading 175 on departure from 19R at SNA. About 5 - 8 minutes into the flight (when I'm generally over the ocean), I'm asked to fly direct to SLI. I notice I'm typically on the 150 radial from SLI. Do I just turn right to track that radial inbound to SLI? Does it matter if it's a right turn or a left?

I'm a R/W VFR pilot so some of this IFR stuff muddles my head a bit.
-----------------------------------------------------
Charath Ram Ranganathan
CFII, AGI, IGI (Blog)
Azusa, CA
Keith Smith

Re: I-3 Checkride Question

Post by Keith Smith »

Which part of the ride is leading to the fail?

You won't get the direct instruction at the same time on each flight, so don't plan on a specific radial in advance. Instead, set the OBS so you have a centered 'to' reading on the CDI then track that course to the VOR.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I think I've been the controller who has been working your flight.

In both cases the failures were for similar reasons:

When cleared direct SLI you should turn directly to SLI whichever way is shorter. The first time you attempted the rating you turned directly away from SLI (make sure your CDI has a to flag not a from flag to prevent this). The second time you turned direct to SNA then direct to SLI once by the airport (you should not be intercepting a radial, just center the CDI instrument and follow the course it says).

Additionally both times there were problems with the ILS 8 into BUR. The first time you flew through the localizer without intercepting and the second time you started the approach without a clearance by turning onto the localizer without clearance. Make sure you are cleared for the approach before you turn onto the localizer and make sure it is setup well in advance.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
SoCal_Pilot

Post by SoCal_Pilot »

Keith: Thank you for your reply.

Peter: Thanks for the detailed reply. I did manage to figure out what I was doing wrong yesterday and passed the I-3 checkride. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to imply that there was an issue with the way the checkride was administered - I was just wondering what would be the best course of action for me to take when being issued a "proceed to SLI direct" clearance. And your answers help me tremendously to figure out what I need to do going forward.

What I realized is that I'm very, very unfamiliar with the way the EFIS displays work and so, I get confused with the FROM and TO headings, thereby turning the wrong way every time. Once I switched to my trusty C172 with the gauges, life was good. What can I say - I'm old fashioned :D

Anyone know a good trainer for the EFIS displays?
-----------------------------------------------------
Charath Ram Ranganathan
CFII, AGI, IGI (Blog)
Azusa, CA