help me with my V2 rating.. frustrated!

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
serious_simmer_FSX

help me with my V2 rating.. frustrated!

Post by serious_simmer_FSX »

so I attempted my V2 rating and... failed and the worst part is I don't know why?

everything went smooth as silk coming out of John Wane.. I was on my own.. "resume nav and filed alt..." so I was heading direct to PDZ VOR at 3500' MSL with flight following

it all went to the crapper when I left C airspace
I asked socal dep. when I was suppose to get my atis? his response.. couldn't really understand him, he is so fast and has an accent , then at the end he said something about..
something something... garbled is cancelled resume VFR sqk VFR ... frequency changed approved..
so I switched over to got my atis.. there is very little time.. because you then fly right into C airspace coming into KONT
then I lost it.. I didn't know who then to contact?

he then told me I failed.. but he told me why but I couldn't understand him and I just quit.

look at my charts, I see I'm suppose to contact socal app on 135.4 20 nm out! well how? at 20nm out I'm still in the KSNA C airspace!
then on top of that.. I cross over Chino airport and that is class D.. so where does that come in at?

so here are my questions:
when am I suppose to get KONT ATIS? will socal dep tell me or what?
will he hand me off to socal app on 135.4 if I have flight following?

what else should I know?
Eugene Zaporozhets

Re: help me with my V2 rating.. frustrated!

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

Hello,

I was the controller working your V2 flight. I missed your initial request for flight following and treated it as a basic class C departure, which is why you radar services were terminated once you were clear of SNA class C and no longer requiring communication with ATC.

Missing the request for flight following was a mistake on my part, though you flight wasn't immediately doomed at that point. If you don't expect a frequency change right after leaving C, clarify with ATC that you'd like to receive flight following (second time, I know) and see if i changes anything. Another option would be to dial 135.4 right away (you were still outside ONT C and had time to call the next sector), and request landing at ONT. By the time you called the next sector, you were already inside class C at 3500, which was the reason for the V2 failure. The CNO class D that you're referring two actually lies below class C, from surface to just under 2700 ft.

As far as my readability, I'm aware that my natural rate of speech doesn't work for many people. Feel free to ask me to speak slower next time.
serious_simmer_FSX

Re: help me with my V2 rating.. frustrated!

Post by serious_simmer_FSX »

sorry.. I guess I shouldn't get to worked up.. I hope I didn't offend you, I meant nothing of the sort..

thanks for the help.. it helps to know that you did not pick up flight following...that explains it..