BOACH4 Question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
SoCal_Pilot

BOACH4 Question

Post by SoCal_Pilot »

I've been working on my I-9 rating and had a question about the BOACH4 departure.

In the videos, I notice that Keith specifically talks about Fly-Over and Fly-by waypoints and shows the different symbology that's used for each of them (the fly-by is enclosed in a circle, I believe).

However, looking at the d-TPP from (http://avn.faa.gov/d-tpp/1211/00662BOACH.PDF) it doesn't seem to indicate any of the waypoints as a fly-over. Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

Thanks
Charath
-----------------------------------------------------
Charath Ram Ranganathan
CFII, AGI, IGI (Blog)
Azusa, CA
Keith Smith

Re: BOACH4 Question

Post by Keith Smith »

Check the missed approach point on the rnav 19l into Vegas
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

You're not missing anything.

The BOACH4 does not have any fly-over waypoints. Back when the tutorial video for the I-09 was made, the DP was BOACH2, and it *did* have fly-over waypoints, which is probably why Keith talks about 'em.

As Keith mentions, the missed approach point for the RNAV 19L approach into LAS is a fly-over waypoint if you want to see a current plate with both types on it.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
SoCal_Pilot

Post by SoCal_Pilot »

Mark Hargrove wrote:You're not missing anything.

The BOACH4 does not have any fly-over waypoints. Back when the tutorial video for the I-09 was made, the DP was BOACH2, and it *did* have fly-over waypoints, which is probably why Keith talks about 'em.

As Keith mentions, the missed approach point for the RNAV 19L approach into LAS is a fly-over waypoint if you want to see a current plate with both types on it.

-M.
Thanks Mark and Keith for your clarifications. I do see the fly-over waypoint in the 19L RNAV into KLAS.

On a separate note, has anyone figured out how to prevent the X-Plane FMC from performing predictive turns? I notice that it will often start a turn about 2 miles before a waypoint so that there's minimum overshoot of the flight path. Obviously, that wouldn't work for the fly-over waypoints, right?
-----------------------------------------------------
Charath Ram Ranganathan
CFII, AGI, IGI (Blog)
Azusa, CA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you are using a real fmc, it'll know the difference when you load the procedure by name.

Otherwise, swap to hdg mode to make the plane go where you need it to go.