Got my V-01 rating!! (woo hoo!)

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
djrisc

Got my V-01 rating!! (woo hoo!)

Post by djrisc »

Hi,
I got my V-01 rating tonight and I'm elated! :)

I created a training account right after I finished the rating. When the tower controller says he'll record it, how does that work? Is there anything I need to do in order for that rating to be registered to my account or does it just happen automatically?

Thanks again for this awesome service. I'm loving it!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Re: Got my V-01 rating!! (woo hoo!)

Post by Keith Smith »

Brett,

I moved this to the Pilot Training forum since it's related to that program. Congratulations on the V-1, it looks like you're enjoying the network and making the best use of the resources that we've made available. Nice job.

The rating will be processed within 24-48 hours (depending on my workload). You can move onto the V-2 rating as soon as you're ready, no need to wait for it to be published on the site.

Keep it up, and have fun.
Calvin Waterbury

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Hi Brett,

Congratulations! Now that you have gotten your feet wet I would encourage you to keep pressing on to the next rating. At your own pace, of course, but try to wear the attitude that each rating passed is just a stepping stone to the next. Also, I have a whole family that are working on their PE ratings and everyone say the V-3 is the tough one. It's not really it is so hard, but it adds some new concepts and you have to face the "Big Bad Bravo!" LOL (please notice I was joking)

There is no required timeline or other "schedule." It's all according to what you are willing to work for, but do let the I-11 be your trophy at the top of the staircase. I'm only on my I-5 and hope to get my I-6 today.

Welcome to PilotEdge and I'll be looking forward to hearing you have your V-2! :)
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Hi Calvin,
I actually got my V-02 this weekend! It wasn't tough after some light reading and trying it a few times.

Yeah, the V-03 is looking prettying frightening. I'm studying/practicing right now to stay super tight on radials so I don't have to focus on that part of it as much.

But yeah, Bravo airspace looks pretty freaky. I wonder how many GA pilots in real life avoid the bravo like the plague. lol

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Calvin Waterbury

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Congrats on your V-2!

May I suggest just viewing the V-3 like any other rating. Sure, there are a few more bells and whistles. Just get a solid procedure on how to track radials and you'll do just fine. Just keep your focus on what the rating's transcripts, videos, etc. have to say and you'll do fine. I don;t know if anyone has mentioned it, but having a good VOR "how am I going to do this" type method will help. Here is the way I do it, but your mileage may vary...
  • Assuming the aircraft is tracking "TO" the VOR, I set the HDG to the new radial I will be tracking "FROM" the VOR.
  • At less than 1/2 mile TO the VOR I engage the preset HDG. Depending on the winds, I end up roughly "inside" of the turn.
  • Once I get past the VOR about a mile, I re-engage NAV. If the NAV doesn't lock-on, I adjust (slightly) the HDG to intercept the desired outbound radial and go on my way.

Like I said, this is the way I do it. If you have your own way to do it and it works for you, you're almost home. Now, if you can read and understand the descriptions of the Coastal Route, the Mini Route, etc. you should have no trouble getting your V-3 in short order. Be sure and ask any questions. Good luck!
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD