VFR Bravo Clearance

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
currentadventure

VFR Bravo Clearance

Post by currentadventure »

How do I go about getting class B clearance if departing Van Nuys VFR (requesting fliight following) to John Wayne via seal beach? Will the controllers let SoCal approach know since you requested FF or should you request freq. change to SoCal to request clearance into bravo airspace? I ask because time you get air born, you are practically in bravo airspace?

Just wondering what is the proper way to make this request and flight?
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
Mark Hargrove

Re: VFR Bravo Clearance

Post by Mark Hargrove »

It depends upon how you're going to cross the Bravo. Once you're airborne with flight following active, you can let SoCal know you want to transit the LAX Bravo and they'll help coordinate the routes that need coordination. There are five possible routes. See http://www.skyvector.com, Los Angeles TAC chart, and pan the map so you can see the top left corner -- all of the the bravo transitions are depicted there.

Four of five routes require coordination with (at least) LAX Tower, and you have to remain clear of the Bravo airspace until explicitly cleared into it on these four transitions (Mini-Route, Shoreline Route, Hollywood Park Route, Coliseum Route). The Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) does NOT require coordination or clearance, but has very specific directions for how to fly it -- again, it's on the Los Angeles TAC.

The most direct route for what you're after is the Coliseum route, which actually uses VNY and SLI as waypoints, but requires you to be at 9500 feet -- I'm not sure that's very practical for a VNY departure.

I'd probably look at the Mini-Route at 2500', then proceed direct SLI after crossing the runway 25 complex -- you'll be below the Bravo at that point and can climb to 3500 feet to be over the top of the Long Beach and Los Alamitos Charlie airspaces, then give John Wayne a call after you pass SLI.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The 'Shoreline Route' is basically for helicopters, down at 500ft. I suspect you're thinking of the Coastal Route.

The Coastal, Hollywood Park and Coliseum Route do not require coordination with LAX tower, they're flown with Socal Approach. The mini-route is the only route involving LAX Tower.

Out of VNY for SNA, I would either use the mini-route or SFRA (2500 and 3500ft respectively)
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Don't forget that you might have to make a spiral climb or descent before becoming established on the routes. Look at the coliseum route, for example (if using www.skyvector.com pan to the far upper left of the LAX TAC and you'll see the routes described in a general sense). If you depart KSNA you could either just depart without traffic advisories and climb above the class C (then call approach on 124.1 before Bravo entrance) or stick with socal departure for FF to your destination.

Keep in mind what you could do is leave on about a 180 heading (keeping you clear of LAX Class B), and head out over the shoreline and simply climb to 8500... then turn back towards the SLI 120 radial, join it inbound then don't forget to call approach and ask for the Bravo entry. In real life (just my experience not in socal area) if you tell the controller out of SNA that you want to fly the coliseum route to VNY in the Bravo they'll work it out for you (the bravo entry request is presumed). Keith perhaps has been worked differently since he flew socal in the past... so maybe I'm just telling lies. But on PE you still want to ask for the clearance and not just assume you've got it because you're talking to the controller "working" the class C near SNA. I don't know which sector works the VFR transition routes in real life but I'm guessing it's not the same person who works the airspace over SNA (regardless they'd coordinate your route over the shout line aka inter facility).

Same thing when you exit on the north side near VNY.. you'll be super high for a small plane and tell approach that you need lower and may have to make a spiral descent or a long/wide pattern at VNY for landing. Last time I flew it in a small plane on PE I made a huge pattern to VNY (probably 5 miles) to accommodate my descent. There's other ways to do it...

I really like flying the Bravo on PE. Maybe someday PE will get some East Coast action :)
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL