Performance Feedback from Controllers

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Firstinflight

Performance Feedback from Controllers

Post by Firstinflight »

Have flown over 25 hours on PE. As always, have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Had an idea - Given that many use PE for proficiency building, I think it will be valuable if Controllers are able to provide a simple rating to pilots when they complete a flight - doesn't have to be every flight. It could be when they are not very busy.

In addition, to make it simple it could start with a simple 1-5 star rating. Later, this could be further broken down into simple criteria such as clarity on the mic, alertness, adherence to instructions etc.

It will be nice NOT to have it for each flight. It should serve as a mere indicator of trend.

From a pilot standpoint, it will be valuable to know the answer to "how am i doing?"

Maybe asking for too much.... Thoughts...?

Regards,
CPJ
Kevin_atc

Re: Performance Feedback from Controllers

Post by Kevin_atc »

For at least 75% of the flights that we see, as controllers, we certainly have critique that is never really expressed to the pilot. Typically it's so minor that it isn't really worth telling the pilot, however we usually relay the more substantial information to the pilots such as an airspace bust or flight plan deviation. The minor things that I'm referring to are things like remembering to tell the ground controller where you are located on the field and advise him/her that you have the current weather info/atis when you call for taxi. In addition, when you check in with approach you should advise ATC that you have the current weather/atis for your destination airport. Things like this happen every day (pilots forgetting to say these things, I mean) and we usually never say anything about it. However, we will have to come back on the radio and ask you something like "n123, say location on the field and verify you have the numbers" which I would hope from a common sense standpoint would eventually click in your head "oh, I probably have to say that each time since they always ask m about it."
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord