I-9 navigation

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Piotr

I-9 navigation

Post by Piotr »

I've just completed ratings I1 to I8 (you just gotta love those long weekends... :-)) and I have some doubts regarding the I9. It calls to be flown with the jet aircraft, I'm planning on doing it in the PMDG 737-800, I'm was flying it offline until now. A question is how should I fly and navigate in this rating:
  1. Manual control with VOR-DME navs
  2. Manual control following FMC-plotted routing
  3. Complete auto
  4. Something else?
Generally I'm opting for the 1. as it seems to bring more educational value, but maybe I'm missing the point somewhere.
Piotr Ratajczak
PE: RealAir Duke Turbine (N609PR), PMDG B737-800 (N738PR, LOTxxxx)
Ryan B

Re: I-9 navigation

Post by Ryan B »

Just like you'd fly it if you were offline... ie if you navigate with VORs you can do it that way. But seriously if you're flying the NGX you should file /Q and fly it LNAV/VNAV. Of course if something doesn't add up then you can manually take over. I like to fly those big iron planes on LNAV/VNAV but I usually tune in the segment I'm supposed to be on in case the FMS isn't doing what I want the airplane to do.

Personally flying the NGX without autopilot and VOR-only would be a big workload. Depending on how you setup your "cockpit" you may have to use A/P at times (maybe enroute etc). In my opinion, I'm flying all by myself with a little mouse to click on things (I've got no knobs or cool tactile feedback hardware) so I use A/P often with big planes. You can still get the educational value with A/P on. Remember, the real plane has two crew in the cockpit :D

edit: Looking at the DP it seems to be RNAV only... well it reads DME or RNAV required. But I've got NO IDEA how you would fly that DP without RNAV... You can't navigate to those fixes without some sort of RNAV equipment....
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

For the rating one can take the MCCRN3 SID which is flyable without RNAV, same as the STAR.

I actually think about it in the category of sacrafices, meaning that sometimes I prefer to skip some non-crucial procedures and do more "actual flying". My setup is not extensive but does allow to handle communication and VOR-based nav. almost without clicking in VC (4 radios, some switches, 6 levers and most important knob's functions mapped to few rocker switches).

Generally I found your points quite valid, I think I'll finally go with RNAV and AP and just take manual control when able.
Piotr Ratajczak
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

I envy you and I'd love to get some hardware someday. What I'm using at the moment is Track IR, a MS ffb2 stick, CH throttle and saitek pedals. The pedals and TIR were the best investments (well the stick always helps lol!) but now I've at least got my hands free while taxiing (but usually have my first officer (2 yr old daughter) on my lap which can makes things interesting).

I'd love to have a radio stack with knobs I think that would be my first buy. The Saitek throttle setup also looks cool (the one with the Power, mixture and prop levers)... I mainly fly GA so I would be fine with that even for PMDG.

Where did you get your hardware from?
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

I'm using Saitek products. The quality is not top but they are quite affordable and I personally find it a good value for money. They're also quite easily accessible in my country, what is a big advantage as international/intercontinental shipment for such products can significantly contribute to final cost. What I exactly use is
  • 2 Saitek throttle quadrants
  • 2 Saitek radio panels (giving total 4 radios, I use two for separate nav1/2, one for switching between com1/2 and one for altimeter and squawk)
  • Saitek switch panel, nice for GA but one can also make some use from it in big iron :d
  • Saitek yoke and rudder pedals
I use rocker switches on throttle quadrants for OBS knobs etc, it makes VOR navigation click-free.

TrackIR seems like a great product and is on my "wish list" :D
Piotr Ratajczak
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I flew the I-9 in an F-86 Sabre with single VOR/DME and a 2d cockpit. MCCRN3.HEC.RIIVR2. I used hdg hold and alt hold for the level portion since the joystick doesn't have the fidelity to trim out at high speeds, other than that, it was hand flown. Pick something with a relatively simple cockpit with easily reachable avionics, and you should be in fairly good shape.