Coastal Route as part of a VFR flight

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Denny22

Re: Coastal Route as part of a VFR flight

Post by Denny22 »

I agree PE is the best, unbelievaly good practice and training tool for me, love it, love it, love it.

I do have a question on this topic. Keith, 2 nights ago I did the flight from KONT to KSEE. I left KONT VFR with Flight following, as I got got closer to the Bravo airspace I was talking with you on Socal App I believe. Anyway I wasn't quite sure how to handle getting clearance to go through the Bravo direct to KSEE, at some point should I have requested clearance from Socal App. Since I wasn't sure, you might have noticed that I flew right up to the Bravo waiting to see if I would be given clearance, I wasn't so I decided to just go around it :)

Thanks
Denny
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Denny,

We'll be covering that in the very next workshop, in fact (I'll update the schedule to show that we're pushing IFR out one or two more times to finish up the VFR scenarios, culminating in some Bravo exercises).

The fact that the LAX has published transition routes often causes confusion for pilots when they run into Bravos that don't have those routes. The simple answer to your question of how to obtain a clearance through the Bravo, direct KSEE is, "approach, Cessna 123AB, request Bravo clearance, direct Gillespie." :)

Then, what will be, will be.

I was about as busy as I've been on the network that night (was a medium number of planes, but all of them were doing operations that involved quite a bit of interaction, pulling plates, looking up SOPs, etc), but I did notice you circumnavigating the lateral bounds of the Bravo. Short of requesting a clearance through, you could almost certainly have gone under some of the outer shelves, that's always an option, too. It's relatively rare to have to skirt the entire lateral footprint of a Bravo unless you're high enough to get caught by the outer shelves.

I'm bummed that you couldn't make last night's workshop...we did MYF to RNM, going under some of those outer shelves, it was a fun planning session. Unfortunately, the recording won't be available due to technical issues, but if you want me to run through that flight, or your flight, let me know.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Keith Smith wrote:Unfortunately, the recording won't be available due to technical issues.......
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
bruce

Post by bruce »

##@+$%&ZZ$£&*)@@### freely translated from the Anglo saxon "What bad luck" :evil: :evil: :twisted: :o :shock: :!: :!: :twisted: :o :shock: :( :evil: