TEC routes VFR

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Joris

TEC routes VFR

Post by Joris »

Just passed my V2 rating yesterday. I'm definitely hooked to PE :), Extremely motivational to keep up the study work! The step from V1 to V2 is steep.
Since i like planning flights by navigating VOR's and keep the GPS out as long as possible i'm wondering if i can fly TEC routes VFR?
If yes how to inform controllers of my plans, or do i just fly and make sure i comply with all airspace rules i would navigate through following the TEC route.
Keith Smith

Re: TEC routes VFR

Post by Keith Smith »

When you're flying VFR, lateral navigation is largely up to you. You don't need to tell the controller that you're flying a TEC route. The only time it might be an issue is when flying through the Bravo as there are specific VFR transition routes through that airspace.

If you'd like to practice VOR navigation, don't worry about TEC routes. Just find some quiet airspace and practice course tracking and interception. It's good to practice individual skills that you're trying to master in as isolated a fashion as possible. In other words, make the focus of the flight be radial intercepts and tracking. Don't make it 10x harder by trying to fly non-standard VFR routes through the Bravo as a result when your goal is simply to track a radial...ANY radial :)

Airways near PSP, VNY, SBA, CMA, OXR, or CNO might be a good start.
Joris

Re: TEC routes VFR

Post by Joris »

Thanks Keith for your advice. I'll plan for some fun flights around those VOR's you've suggested :-)