I-1 what if I have no radar vectors?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
mikealphacharlie

I-1 what if I have no radar vectors?

Post by mikealphacharlie »

The flight plan is KSNA - SLI - KSNA, but we're expecting radar vectors to make a short cut back to the 19R ILS. That's the basic plot, but supposing the radio blows up during take-off, what is our Plan B ?

The first leg seems fairly straightforward. Follow a suitable radial to SLI such as R120 after take off. From SLI I would imagine that the best plan would be to follow the R063 to SNAKE intersection on the ILS. So far so good, but then we have to make a 130 degree turn to line up with the runway. So my question is this - what procedure should I follow to make this turn without running the risk of overshooting the Localizer completely?

Regards
Steve
Pieces

Re: I-1 what if I have no radar vectors?

Post by Pieces »

Hi Steve...

In the case of lost comms you would probably fly the full approach. The exact procedure is covered in the I-6 rating. I also recommend watching the seminar covering flying precision approaches located here.

It's a little hard to explain via text, but basically from SLI you would fly the 049 radial outbound till SAGER. As you noted, turning directly to intercept from that angle would be tough so there is a published HILPT (hold in lieu of procedure turn) at SAGER. Arriving at SAGER you would fly outbound parallel to the localizer for 1 minute, and then make a large left hand turn (approximately 240 degrees) until you intercept the localizer inbound.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
mikealphacharlie

Hi Reece,

Many thanks for your reply, will study the I-6 material as suggested. I took a quick look at the 19R ILS Approach Plate and saw the holding pattern at SAGER to which you referred. However the arrows seems to indicate a right turn on to the localizer rather than the left turn that you described. Have I misunderstood the diagram? Highly likely !

Regards
Steve
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

You're getting ahead of yourself. Planning for lost comms and shooting the full approach requires knowledge that the program hasn't covered yet. It would be better to fly the rating as described...walk before you run. Then, move onto the other ratings, including the I-6 where you'll have the chance to fly the full approach (and then again in the I-7 and I-10).
mikealphacharlie

Keith

Agreed, I'm getting ahead of myself, especially as I've only just scraped my way through V-1 recently (thanks again for your help during this by the way). However, there is a vaguely rational reason for my original question, which perhaps I should have explained at the time. I need to practice (offline) some VMC flights based around John Wayne and I was using the I-1 route as a starting point to get experience following VOR radials. Reece's pointer to the I-6 notes has explained how an IFR pilot is supposed to get from the Seal Beach feeder route on to the localizer (even why the reverse turn is opposite to the direction depicted). However, for my purposes it looks like I could make a 90 degree right turn at around 12.5 DME from SLI and try to intercept the localizer somewhere around SNAKE.

Steve
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

Fair enough, but you'll be tracking radials in the V-3 in preparation for the I-1 (there's a logical sequence to all of this). You can also do practice flights under VFR where you pick random radials or airways to follow.

I would not suggest following a localizer because that is procedurally quite different from tracking a radial (it only corresponds to a single radial, the OBS doesn't change anything when you're receiving a localizer).

Here's an example of a VFR flight from CMA to BFL where you track a series of radials:
http://skyvector.com/?ll=34.81414165290 ... :A.K2.KBFL

Don't be shy about flying these online, too. Doing it with traffic and ATC will likely make the filght more engaging, too.
mikealphacharlie

Keith
Thanks for the route suggestion. It definitely looks more entertaining than circuits!

Steve