V2 Rating - Departure Route

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
mikealphacharlie

V2 Rating - Departure Route

Post by mikealphacharlie »

I have a couple of questions about the departure procedure from KSNA en route to KONT. The tutorial video shows a departure heading of 330 at 2400 before ATC release, and then flight following at 3000.

1. The route after ATC release seems like it would take you through the upper shelf of the KSNA controlled airspace (2000 - 4400). Is this OK so long as you have flight following?

2. As has been noted in an earlier thread, the route passes perilously close to the restricted airspace around Disneyland. What procedure can be used to avoid a violation of the restriction up to 3000 AGL?

Steve
Keith Smith

Re: V2 Rating - Departure Route

Post by Keith Smith »

1. Try not to think of this as an exception to a rule. Instead, think about what requirements exist prior to you entering Class C airspace. They're simple, "two way communications with the controlling agency." Since Socal is the one who issues "resume own navigation and appropriate VFR altitudes," then by the time you're cut loose, you're already talking to the right people and the Class C loses its bite.

2. You're on an assigned heading with an alt restriction. I'd say that would comply with this published exception to the TFR: "THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO; THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR [OPERATIONAL REASONS]."
mikealphacharlie

Post by mikealphacharlie »

Thanks Keith - I'll give it a try and see what happens :)

Steve
DWiggins

Post by DWiggins »

Another question on the V-2.

When departing on Rwy 19L and given a heading to 330, a right turn (the shortest route) would put you crossing the upwind of Rwy 19R. Is it expected that this is what you should do without additional guidance to turn left instead? I'm not very experienced with parallel rwys, but decided to ask before I flew into another pilots upwind course. When I queried the controller, he responded that I could have turned without asking.

Can I get a clarification on the protocol?

Also,.. in a real world scenario this weekend, I flew back into my local Class D airport after a short excursion into the Texas Hill Country. Upon contacting tower on my return I was assigned a right downwind for Rwy 18 as expected from the west. The pattern was pretty full , we were t/g and climbing out I asked the tower if we were left traffic(which is the preferred pattern for noise abatement - and my preference). He responded rather sarcastically "Noooo, I want you to be right traffic!". I've made hundreds of landings at this airport and never received that response. I don't believe he told me to go right traffic other than my downwind entry instructions.. Is it assumed that I should stay right traffic from that? Maybe I missed the call though.. I always ask though when in doubt...
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Make the 'shortest' turn to the assigned heading. The tower controller is expecting you to fly that heading. If it would conflict with other traffic that was taking off from 19R, he would make arrangements to avoid the conflict (delay the takeoff of the other aircraft or give you another heading).

Regarding the r/w situation with left vs right traffic, if he told you to make right traffic on the pattern entry, and he knew you were making a touch and go, then the implication would be to continue making right traffic on the go, but if there's any doubt, you should ask, and not feel bad about doing so, as long as you keep it short, "verify right traffic on the go for [callsign]?" Don't mention what happened prior to that point, or what the normal ops are or anything else if it's busy, just get right to the heart of the question.
DWiggins

Post by DWiggins »

Awesome. Thanks so much!