Auto Pilot - Fly Closed Traffic

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Rick Stratman

Re: Auto Pilot - Fly Closed Traffic

Post by Rick Stratman »

Thanks for the great feedback, as I seen in the couple of the AOPA monthly editions, autopilot does spark a lot of opinions and thoughts on both sides of the fence for when to use and not to used Auto Pilot.

Well I know this group is partial to the X-Plane and from all research X-Plane as it relates to the flight dynamics is generally better than FSX. In my case I currently have a good deal invested in FSX, but I am looking at X-Plane.

I have also been looking at TrackIR5, but even with that I still believe I may still have issues on how FSX handles the flight dynamics with this precision flight in the pattern. The trim seems to be very sensitive and I have been having hard time with turns and almost nose diving. I have tried 172, 208 and Baron 58 of which I know is probably not the best, all with the same results.

There is one thing I did get from one of Keith's older videos is do some practicing to see how the plane handles in various situations, so I will keep at it and see if I can get this part nail down with out Auto Pilot. :)

Thanks again for the welcoming and thoughts on this question.
brianshell

Post by brianshell »

First, welcome..

I think you'll find the community here split between FSX and X-Plane. They both have their pros and cons.

If you're struggling with the plane feeling too sensitive, you might pull up the settings for the Controls and turn down the sensitivity of the different axis. This will help a LOT in terms of you feeling like the plane is under control. If the trim is too sensitive, you should be able to turn that down as well. Also, do a quick calibration on all of your control surfaces.. that may help.

I think the 172 and the Baron in FSX are both great planes and good "starter planes". I still swear by the Baron 58, with my limited abilities, it's been a great model!!

The TrackIR is the single best money I've ever spent on flight-simming. Worth every penny and then some!! Although I don't think it will fix the issues you've described, it sure helps with orientation and a general feel of "real flying".
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I know this thread is old, but for people that are struggling with this, here's something that happens in real life. Remember, it's a lot easier to take in everything around you in a real plane, since a) it's so easy to look around and b) you learn to trim really fast as not trimming wears out an arm really fast. Those inputs just don't exist in our computer environment.

When I would teach someone to do a traffic pattern, of course, there's things like headings and speeds and so on, but, at that phase of your learning process, you're still pretty much in the true visual stage. Forget about the gauges except for airspeed and altitude every once in a while (pretend your instructor is helping you with that), and concentrate on clues from the outside world. Your instructor will always point out hints, like: aim the nose at the watertower to fly downwind. When you're over the golf course, turn base, that sort of thing. Here's an example: VISUAL RWY 19R. Later, you get a feel for the position of your airplane relative to the runway.

So, pause your simulator if you need to, go to an outside view and just look where your plane is in relation to the airport. Find those clues and use them. And remember, if something doesn't move in your windshield, you're going to hit it (assuming constant speed, etc). This works for traffic and the runway.

If you go really basic, you get taught to look at where your nose is in relation to the horizon and keep it there. Then you glance at your altimeter to verify if you still are at the altitude you think you are. You apply the same principle for turns, etc.

Hope this helps someone.