Santa Monica Tower

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
HenryR

Santa Monica Tower

Post by HenryR »

This is primarily directed (with apologies) to Keith...

On my V3 rating flight today, I used 121.0 for the KSMO (Santa Monica) tower frequency. The controller (Keith) advised that 121.0 was Riverside, and that Santa Monica was 120.1. Color me embarrassed... I started planning my ratings flights several months ago, but am only just now getting around to flying them. I'm almost certain that I copied the Santa Monica tower frequency down properly from AIRNAV at the time, but I have been know to transpose a few digits in my time :roll: . I just checked on AIRNAV and sure enough, KSMO Tower is listed as 120.1... as is the CTAF on the KSMO information sheet. My question is, has this changed? I noted that AIRNAV specified that the information was "as of August 22, 2013." I'm wondering if KSMO got caught up in the tower closings.

Of course, I'm not making excuses for not going back and rechecking all my resources before the flight... I'm just curious on this... it will help to clean the egg off my face :oops: . In either case, thanks Keith for overlooking my faux paux. And if you're wondering about a couple of S turns just prior to crossing the LA Tower on the Mini Route southbound, that's when my autopilot went out! Arrrrgggghhhhh! :lol:

Henry Richbourg
(Skylane 828SP)
Kevin_atc

Re: Santa Monica Tower

Post by Kevin_atc »

KSMO's tower frequency has been the same (120.1) forever. It was on the list to be closed back in the spring (not sure how that would have worked having an uncontrolled field that close to LAX with all of its converging problems) but thankfully none of that ever happened.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
HenryR

Re: Santa Monica Tower

Post by HenryR »

My bad, I guess. Must have been dyslexia... Or is it lexdysia :D