V-01: Pattern Work - Questions

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
SouthPawPaul

V-01: Pattern Work - Questions

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Hi,

I've read through all the supplied documentation for V-01 and I am left with a few questions.

1. Do I need to file a flight plan for closed traffic?
2. How does the controller know that I'm attempting to pass V-01 and not just practicing?
3. In the video attached to the lesson, the pilot starts with a short "greeting" to the controller first kinda like a "hi I'm here" message and then waits for the controller to say "go ahead" before asking for taxi and takeoff for pattern work. The transcript just fires of the full request as the first line. Which is the best to do?
3. When I'm "Cleared for the option", do I need to declare my intentions (i.e. Touch 'n' Go, Full stop, Low pass) or just respond with "Cleared for the option" ?
4. If I'm on the finals and I'm asked to go around, do I follow the go around procedure for the airfield or do I climb to pattern altitude and do another circuit? Looking at some videos would suggest the controller will add what type of go around it should be i.e. "go around and remain in pattern".

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Anthony Santanastaso

Re: V-01: Pattern Work - Questions

Post by Anthony Santanastaso »

1. Do I need to file a flight plan for closed traffic?
ATC does not see the VFR flight plans that you would file with FSS, nor do we. Just like in the real world, you have to give us all the pertinent information upon initial contact.
2. How does the controller know that I'm attempting to pass V-01 and not just practicing?
You should tell us upon initial contact that you would like to attempt the exam.
3. In the video attached to the lesson, the pilot starts with a short "greeting" to the controller first kinda like a "hi I'm here" message and then waits for the controller to say "go ahead" before asking for taxi and takeoff for pattern work. The transcript just fires of the full request as the first line. Which is the best to do?
Fire the full request in the first transmission. The only time it would be prudent to do it the other way would be if you are calling a radar controller (e.g., Approach or Center) and you have either a non-standard or lengthy request. For that instance, you could say:

N123AS: SoCal Approach, Piper One Two Three Alpha Sierra VFR Flight Following Request.
SoCal: Piper One Two Three Alpha Sierra, SoCal Approach, go ahead request.
N123AS: Piper One Two Three Alpha Sierra is 5 miles north of RZS VOR, 6,500, request flight following to San Louis airport.

-versus-

N123AS: San Louis Ground, Piper One Two Three Alpha Sierra is at the San Louis Jet Center with Information ALPHA request taxi for closed traffic. (And, if you wanted to take the exam) We would like to take the V-1 test.
3. When I'm "Cleared for the option", do I need to declare my intentions (i.e. Touch 'n' Go, Full stop, Low pass) or just respond with "Cleared for the option" ?
No you do not need to declare your intentions.
4. If I'm on the finals and I'm asked to go around, do I follow the go around procedure for the airfield or do I climb to pattern altitude and do another circuit? Looking at some videos would suggest the controller will add what type of go around it should be i.e. "go around and remain in pattern".
As per the Pilot/Controller Glossary:
GO AROUND− Instructions for a pilot to abandon his/her approach to landing. Additional instructions may follow. Unless otherwise advised by ATC, a VFR aircraft or an aircraft conducting visual approach should overfly the runway while climbing to traffic pattern altitude and enter the traffic pattern via the crosswind leg. A pilot on an IFR flight plan making an instrument approach should execute the published missed approach procedure or proceed as instructed by ATC; e.g., “Go around” (additional instructions if required).
Last edited by Anthony Santanastaso on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Santanastaso
PilotEdge ATCS
Private Pilot ASEL
Twitch broadcasts: Archived | Live
SouthPawPaul

Re: V-01: Pattern Work - Questions

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Thankyou so much for your precise and rapid reply.