Lost Comm on I-2 Certification

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
lauramks

Lost Comm on I-2 Certification

Post by lauramks »

Just want to pass on my kudos to the controller on my I2 certification ride. There I was.... all was great on takeoff and departure. I was handed off to Socal and connected to V23 on the way south. All was going smoothly when I got a call to switch to SoCal on 119.6. I made the call to check in on the new freq and no answer. Hey.. I know they get other calls. I waited about 60 seconds and called again. No answer? Then it occurred to me that maybe they were "testing me"? Oh, that old lost comm procedure!!! What to do? No sweat. I go back to the previous freq and tell them they gave me a bad freq. No answer. Now I am at Oceanside, what to do? Hold? Nah... I broadcast on freq that I am lost comm "if you can hear me" and headed for the IAF. My plan was to follow my flight plan as cleared.

Then I get some help. Socal asks "if you can hear me, ident!" Hey... I CAN hear you but you apparently can't hear me! They followed by keeping me on the last know freq and vectoring me to final. Cleared for approach and landing. Yea! I had my weather set for 500 ft so I couldn't cheat on myself. I broke out and landed. No sweat. 8-)

Thanks goes to the controllers for figuring out a better solution. After the fact I thought of one obvious remedy and one not so obvious. When I take off I set clearance and ground in radio two and tower and departure in radio one. Nowhere in this situation did I think to try radio two! Arrggh. (slap on forehead). The other thought was the transponder code 7700 for lost comm. (new slap on forehead). :shock:

Still, learned a lot and am headed for I-3. What can they try next? :P
lauramks

Re: Lost Comm on I-2 Certification

Post by lauramks »

Opps... 7600 lost comm. Although 7700 will get their attention. :lol: