A few quick questions before I tackle V2

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
arsindelve

A few quick questions before I tackle V2

Post by arsindelve »

One of the hardest things for me to get straight in my interaction with ATC is when I can go ahead and do something, or when I need to wait to be advised. I have three related questions below, and I'm hoping someone can straighten me out.

1) After takeoff, how soon can I turn to my desired heading? How does this differ between B, C and D airspace? (I strongly suspect that in B airspace, I don't go anywhere until I'm explicitly told!)

2) When I'm about to exit (or have just exited) a control zone, do I need to let the controller know and say goodbye, or do I wait for him/her to do so? If the latter, what should I do in the event that they do not acknowledge that I've left their airspace? Once more, I would ask if this is significantly different between B, C and D control zones.

3) After leaving the runway after landing, can I immediately switch to ground frequency, or should I wait patiently over the hold line until the tower gives me instructions? Do I need to initiate this by letting the tower know I'm down and clear, or will they just know this because they can see me from the tower?

Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate the help! Having these answers will give me the confidence to go ahead with the V2.
Ryan B

Re: A few quick questions before I tackle V2

Post by Ryan B »

1) In any airspace you'd follow any control instruction. At a D if they gave you a heading or altitude you'd just fly that until leaving the D (assuming no flight following), then you can do whatever you like. Same goes for a C but you can't re-enter the C without communication (example climb through the outer shelf after tower told you freq change approved)

2) Either way.... If you know you're clearing the airspace ask for a freq change. In the B most of the time they'll tell you.

3) Do not switch to ground until told by tower. If they're busy I might add a friendly reminder ex: "John Wayne tower, Legacy 12345 clear at B parking midfield" etc.... in real life the controller will see out the window but I think on PE most controllers just use a ASDE-X type of setup (radar screen).... and one or two people work the entire coverage area so they might forget about you once in a while. NO biggie just use the example above. But don't taxi without a clearance.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello,

Quick disclaimer on this one, this all assumes you are operating VFR, if you're IFR the rules are way different.
1) After takeoff, how soon can I turn to my desired heading? How does this differ between B, C and D airspace? (I strongly suspect that in B airspace, I don't go anywhere until I'm explicitly told!)
If you have been assigned a heading you must remain on that heading until specifically told otherwise regardless of class of airspace. If you have not been assigned a heading on departure you may turn to your desired on course heading as soon as you like. In all cases compliance with ATC instructions is required until those instructions are cancelled or new instructions are received.

If ATC has terminated radar services "squawk VFR, frequency change approved" you may resume your own navigation as long as you remain clear of regulated airspace.

If you're unsure, ask! We would rather you ask, then assume you're good to go.
When I'm about to exit (or have just exited) a control zone, do I need to let the controller know and say goodbye, or do I wait for him/her to do so? If the latter, what should I do in the event that they do not acknowledge that I've left their airspace? Once more, I would ask if this is significantly different between B, C and D control zones.
This has a lot of variation depending on what exactly you are doing. In Class D airspace there is no requirement to "say goodbye", once you are clear of Class D airspace you may switch off the tower frequency and continue on your own. Note that if you are getting flight following you'll always be told when to switch to departure.

In Class C/B airspace the answer wildly varies, however in all cases if you are clear of the airspace and wish to continue on your own you may do so by letting the controller know (usually by saying something like "cancel radar services").
After leaving the runway after landing, can I immediately switch to ground frequency, or should I wait patiently over the hold line until the tower gives me instructions? Do I need to initiate this by letting the tower know I'm down and clear, or will they just know this because they can see me from the tower?
Do not switch to ground control after landing without being told to do so, however if you aren't immediately given instructions after turning off there is nothing wrong with telling the tower "Clear of Runway XX" when clear to prompt that call. Our controllers work multiple fields at once so it's hard for us to call at the exact second a plane clears a runway, so please give us a call (on tower) when you're clear so we can send you to ground.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

arsindelve wrote:1) After takeoff, how soon can I turn to my desired heading? How does this differ between B, C and D airspace? (I strongly suspect that in B airspace, I don't go anywhere until I'm explicitly told!)
If we give you a heading to fly, we expect you to start a turn by 500 feet AGL when you're VFR. If you can see you will not hit any obstructions, you may start a turn sooner than 500 AGL.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
arsindelve

Post by arsindelve »

Great answers, thanks everyone! I've got a lot more clarity on all these issues now. I really appreciate it.
jay9909

Post by jay9909 »

HRutila wrote:
arsindelve wrote:1) After takeoff, how soon can I turn to my desired heading? How does this differ between B, C and D airspace? (I strongly suspect that in B airspace, I don't go anywhere until I'm explicitly told!)
If we give you a heading to fly, we expect you to start a turn by 500 feet AGL when you're VFR. If you can see you will not hit any obstructions, you may start a turn sooner than 500 AGL.
Is this true in the real world? I'm a student pilot at a Class D and my CFI has told me you're not supposed to turn below pattern altitude, unless you're staying in the pattern, in which case you can turn when you reach 300' below pattern altitude.

This seems to be supported by the AIM as well:
AIM 4-3-3 Example Key to Traffic Pattern Operations wrote:5. If remaining in the traffic pattern, commence turn to crosswind leg beyond the departure end of the runway within 300 feet of pattern altitude.

6. If departing the traffic pattern, continue straight out, or exit with a 45 degree turn (to the left when in a left-hand traffic pattern; to the right when in a right-hand traffic pattern) beyond the departure end of the runway, after reaching pattern altitude.
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

jay9909 wrote:
HRutila wrote:
Is this true in the real world? I'm a student pilot at a Class D and my CFI has told me you're not supposed to turn below pattern altitude, unless you're staying in the pattern, in which case you can turn when you reach 300' below pattern altitude.

This seems to be supported by the AIM as well:
AIM 4-3-3 Example Key to Traffic Pattern Operations wrote:5. If remaining in the traffic pattern, commence turn to crosswind leg beyond the departure end of the runway within 300 feet of pattern altitude.

6. If departing the traffic pattern, continue straight out, or exit with a 45 degree turn (to the left when in a left-hand traffic pattern; to the right when in a right-hand traffic pattern) beyond the departure end of the runway, after reaching pattern altitude.
Class Ds typically do not assign headings to VFR departures because they don't have an operational need to, and in most cases don't have the authority to vector. If you were not given a heading to fly, it is appropriate to follow the guidance in the AIM 4-3-3 "Traffic Patterns," keeping in mind that the tower controller has the authority to authorize non-standard operations in the pattern.

There is not much guidance on this topic available, but VFR departures that are assigned headings to fly should not wait until climbing within 300 feet of pattern altitude to begin the turn. If, for example, you were to depart from RWY 31R at Chicago-Midway and were given an easterly heading to fly, the tower would want you on that heading as soon as possible. There is no reason to wait for 300 feet below pattern altitude. The only guidance on this subject is the AIM's section on pilot responsibilities when radar vectors are issued.
Section 5. Pilot/Controller Roles and Responsibilities
5-5-6. Radar Vectors

a. Pilot.
1. Promptly complies with headings and altitudes assigned to you by the controller.
2. Questions any assigned heading or altitude believed to be incorrect.
3. If operating VFR and compliance with any radar vector or altitude would cause a violation of any CFR, advises ATC and obtains a revised clearance or instructions.
I am a CFI in Flint, MI, which is a Class C.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
jay9909

Post by jay9909 »

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!