Loc range

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
noachr

Loc range

Post by noachr »

I took the I-09 today, and as I came up on RIIVR the approach controller cleared me for the 25L ILS approach. However, I was not able to receive the localizer signal from that range. I informed the controller and he vectored me further down the approach. By the time I got the signal I was at about 25 DME.

I am using fsx with default scenery. What should the range on a loc signal be? Is the 25L ILS unusually powerful in real life, since the IAF is so far away (49 DME or so)? Has anyone else had this issue in fsx? Is there a fix?

Thanks.
Peter Grey

Re: Loc range

Post by Peter Grey »

I think it's safe to say that the KLAX localizers are one of (if not the) most powerful localizers in the world.

The official range of a localizer is 18NM and most sims will simulate a localizer to work for around that range. The KLAX 24R/25L localizers are good to at least 50 NM.

I know you can modify flight sims to properly simulate the range of this localizer, but I don't know how, I'll leave that to the FS experts.

I will provide an "alternate solution" which is to fly the LAX 071 Radial (which will be very close to the localizer) inbound until you get the localizer. This is a FS only solution (in the real world you WILL get the localizer out that far).
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net