V-03 and my aircraft

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
mcdonaldc

V-03 and my aircraft

Post by mcdonaldc »

Hello all... I am practicing for the V-03 exam with the default C172 Skyhawk and I cannot for the life of me intercept the 323 radial... I have watched numerous YouTube videos on the V-03 and am doing everything they say to do, but my airplane banks and flies around in circles... Can someone help me? Also: Please do not suggest to me to use an aircraft like A2A's C172 -- I have it, but I am not comfortable enough with it to fly on Pilot Edge.
hoser70

Re: V-03 and my aircraft

Post by hoser70 »

Banks and flies in circles? Turn off nav mode and intercept it manually.
Thanks,
Lance

NDB Air
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Agree with hoser70, try hand flying it. Autopilot use comes later.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Just wondering. Is the airplane "in trim"?

How far from the intercept are you when the autopilot is switched on? What direction is the VOR to/from indicator showing? What course are you flying at the time and what course is the VOR set to?

Different autopilots have different capture limits. The safest way is to have the plane "in trim" and on the desired radial when the autopilot is switched on.

Finally double check that the autopilot is on or enabled. Some autopilots have a stand by or flight director mode.
Last edited by wmburns on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Take a screen shot of your panel so we can see that your course heading is right and you have the correct frequency set. I will agree with the other guys, though. Hand fly that puppy. Don't force yourself to rely on Otto. He deserves a vacation sometimes.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Would need to see a video of what's going on, but suggest either hand flying or using HDG mode for now and skip NAV mode until you have resolved it.