I-5 and Skyvector.com headings

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Cyrus

I-5 and Skyvector.com headings

Post by Cyrus »

Greetings fellow space travelers,

I've starting thinking about my I-5 rating (after an enjoyable and successful I-4 from SNA to OXR last night :D )....

As I was plotting the route on Skyvector.com, I noticed some strange numbers popping up…

1. From SKEBR to ISSAR, the CLARR2 STAR plate shows a heading of 345, but Skyvector.com shows this leg as 348.

2. The plate shows the next two legs (ISSAR to IPUMY, and then on to BLD) both at headings of 80 degrees, but Skyvector.com shows them as 81 and 83, respectively.

Now, I realize that there can be small variations in the calculations that Skyvector.com is doing (floating point whatchamacalits or magnetic variations thingamagiggs), but we're talking about relatively small distances and quite significant heading variations - so I was just wondering if I'm interpreting something incorrectly... or what's up?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Pieces

Re: I-5 and Skyvector.com headings

Post by Pieces »

See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3956&p=25197&hilit=courses#p25197

It probably is GPS vs VOR course differences.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge