Going Missed on IFR Approach at Untowered Field

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Donovan

Going Missed on IFR Approach at Untowered Field

Post by Donovan »

I was completing an IFR flight tonight from KBNG to KIZA (both are non-towered airports), and had been cleared to change frequencies to the CTAF freq. I advised the approach controller that I would cancel IFR on the ground after landing. Then it got interesting... I lost my PFD just before the FAF on the GPS-A approach. I kept my composure OK as my backup VOR/HSI was operational and altimeter was fine. Conditions were VFR with the runway in sight. Then while on the last 1/2 mile of final, another (drone) aircraft who was not on the CTAF frequency pulled right onto the runway and proceeded to take-off in front and beneath me, as I overtook him. I powered up /pulled up and aborted the landing.

I know this is a real-world scenario that occurs, but I was definitely glad that this time it was from the safety and comfort of my home. :shock:

I announced on the CTAF that I was going around left traffic and landed relatively uneventfully the second time around, though I used up 100% of the runway. (actually about 105% :oops: )

I later wondered, that since I had been cleared on the GPS-A approach before changing to the CTAF and had not cancelled my IFR flight plan in the air, if I was wrong to go-around instead of flying the published missed approach? Should I have started the published missed and re-contacted Approach with my intentions and received a new clearance?

Don
Marcus Becker

Re: Going Missed on IFR Approach at Untowered Field

Post by Marcus Becker »

I remember looking at the weather conditions for you flight and everything was clear. You did the right thing by simply entering the pattern and landing. If weather conditions were different, you likely would have heard in addition to your approach clearance, "Report missed approach this frequency (or separate frequency if required)". However, since weather conditions easily VMC, they weren't as a missed approach would be unlikely.

There are many occasions at towered fields where this will happen too if weather conditions and pilot ability permits. If you were to be flying a similar approach and for some reason your aircraft was too high or fast, you can indicate a missed approach but the airport was VMC, you could inform the controller you could remain in the pattern and be given an instruction to enter said pattern and land.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Thanks Marcus!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Don,

Operationally, there is no difference for ATC if you shoot the approach and land, or shoot the approach, go-around, do a lap of the pattern and land. Either way, there is no separation afforded from other VFR aircraft, but you are guaranteed there won't be any other IFR aircraft coming or going. As long as you cancel IFR promptly after landing, ATC won't really be able to tell the difference.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Thanks Keith & Marcus -- I appreciate it. Those lingering doubts and questions that I don't get cleared up ASAP always seem to haunt me for any number of flights.
What a tremendous learning environment here on PE!

Don