VFR TEST 3: I got a DOWN Today and I Deserved it...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Keith Smith

Re: VFR TEST 3: I got a DOWN Today and I Deserved it...

Post by Keith Smith »

The airport name and the radio facility name needn't match. The correct procedure is to use the facility name listed on the AFD. Is this the inconsistency that you're referring to? It seems 100% consistent to me.
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Keith it's clearly inconsistent that one field used the honorific in call signs and one doesn't. Arbitrary might be the more precise wording.

Now that I know the names are not interchange able AND having been educated on the aFD location of the official name I understand what's going on and won't make another mistake. Maybe.

Besides Zamperini sounds way cooler than boring old Torrance plus the movie coming out...
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

The radio facility name is also found in the airport diagram and any approach plates in the frequency area.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Yep the controller pointed that specific detail out to me. When he corrected me he said I should look at the diagram. I said yeah I am and it says Zamperini Torrance right there (and on the Atis). He then steered my eyeballs to the freq label.
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

I fly the Carenado A36 almost exclusively on PilotEdge. The AP works for me however I only use it when I am on long stints on an airway.

For the mini and costal routes. I would never think to use the auto pilot it is two short and you have several heading and altitude changes to do during the V3. IMHO you are spending more time and effort manipulating the AP than just flying the plane by hand. I would suggest to trim the plane and try flying that route by hand. Try it a few times and I think you will find it to be easier. The plane will fly straight and level once you trim it out.
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Thanks, I've done it both ways now. I'm trying to learn the systems despite the poor documentation. I find I am getting some difficulty trimming the ailerons. It's not a problem using GPS with AP engaged. I just remember not to trust it...ever..without watching what it's doing. Now if only my brakes wouldn't lock up randomly...alas.
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

If you are using V3 of the BE36 there is a bug that has the rudder deflected and there is a tweak you need to make. When I get to my computer I will find the link from x-plane,org and post it here. Without that you will put in a crazy amount of trim. V2 works fine, sounds like you have V3 however since you made the aileron trim comment.
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

Here you go. See this post. You will see my results at the end and another guys. We are fractions off from each other so splitting hairs possibly. Let me know if you have any trouble with this. Happy to help. Please do make a copy of the file before you edit it just in case. Also make sure you are using Version 3 of the BE36 too.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=81867&hl=
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

The A36 (and x-plane in general), has some of the worst clickspots imho. I'm used to FSX and I've basically started avoiding XP10 unless it's a straight and level flight. There's a few reasons why I tend to lean towards AP usage...

1) Clickspots are horrid (ultra tiny and typically illogical), and even more so when using track ir - I've got to pause the camera to even have a chance at hitting a clickspot while flying.

2) I use a joystick, and the same hand that I use to mouse is the same hand I use to fly. Because I can never seem to get XP10 perfectly trimmed (I swear real flying is easier than trimming in either sim), I feel it's not cheating to use the AP often. If I had a yoke it might help (left hand on yoke, right hand using the clickspots), but I can't fit one on my desk.

I've come to the conclusion that XP users must have radio hardware because I feel like I'm the only one who ever whines about this stuff. I've got a throttle, joystick, pedals but just my virtual cockpit.

Anyway - for the OP - I've found it easier to hand fly the thing when there's tons of stuff to do. IT's almost harder hitting the stupid clickspots with your mouse. I know what you mean about the kids though hehe... it's the reason I barely fly on PE anymore and frankly that's ok too.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

I agree that the clickspots are horrible. I had a saitek yoke and an X-52 for a long time - with some creative mode changing in the programming software I had all the radio and autopilot commands bound. I could do pretty much everything without taking my hands off the yoke/joystick. Trimming was still a pain, though.

Recent, I upgraded to a control loading yoke (the IRIS one that was on kickstarter last year). Now trimming is easy, but I don't have the buttons to control the radios. So I broke down and got a saitek radio and multi panel.

All that to say that with the saitek yoke it is possible to get most of the radio/autopilot controls bound.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge