Can you HEAR me now?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Talan2000

Can you HEAR me now?

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

Ok, so departing from my normal brash custom, I actually flew a practice version of the I-5 tonight KBUR-KLAS. Especially after watching Keith's very hectic cockpit management video in the JRollon Jetstream, I wasn't sure how it would go - especially as I was leaving my familiar Bonanza A36 behind and shifting to the slightly speedier King Air C90...with it's different radios, displays etc.

I was pretty pleased overall with the flight -- I let the darn AP try to kill me a few times (haven't mastered it's ALT modes well -- note to self beware setting a VS descent).

Anyway the one unexpected thing (there's always at least one) that happened to me was I could BARELY hear the controller during the enroute flight phase! I cranked the volume on comms and tried to get the engine noise down...but I could NOT get the darn Carenado Camera (volume) slider to move with the mouse! Almost declared an emergency for hearing loss as I strained in fear of missing a call, asked for repeats on frequencies etc. :( My apologies to ATC.

Upon landing at KLAS fired up google and found to my consternation that this is a known bug and the secret workaround is to use the Comm1 volume knob to lower the engine noise. Who Knew!? That and of course my Right Toe brake locked up (in flight with gear up no less! ( I have added the wheel brake data ref to my scan now) -- a recurring error I alone seem to get with ALL Carenado planes, nobody knows why.

Anyway, thought I'd share the heads up on hearing -- it's so critical to BE able to hear ATC. Makes it really a challenge without it.

One Question for Keith -- when taking the I-5 rating check do you have to fly the whole SID -- or is it ok to accept Vectors to an intersection as I was assigned today. I presume it's fine to fly it as they give it to you "real world". Thanks!

Todd

PS Another of my weird issues is getting disconnected - especially right at the hold short...I think my push to talk to ATC somehow sends off multiple clicks if it's pressed offcenter or somesuch initiating the (secret) Five Click disconnect on PE. Oh, well. Per aspera ad astra.

Makes me wonder too about the fact that my PTT button also unmaps itself on occasion -- only so far before a flight, I call and call and get "ignored" then recheck the button assignments! Voila. Tonight I had the TRIFECTA -- PTT unmapped itself at startup AND disconnect at the Holding Area at KBUR and unable to turn down the darn engine noise! Phew
Talan2000

Re: Can you HEAR me now?

Post by Talan2000 »

Actually I do have another question.

As I ended the Vector Phase of the SID, I was told to intercept or more likely join the SID..with no mention of altitude.

When I am told to (essentially) go back on the SID - do I have clearance to climb to my filed altitude? I think I goofed by climbing to FL210 without specifically asking though as I recall I alerted ATC to what I was doing as I did it...What's the correct procedure (other than when in doubt ask, then act)

Todd
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

Another thing:

Nearing KLAS ATC switched my expected clearance from 25L to 19L.

Then she said "King Air 3298S, visual approach rwy 19L"

To which I responded - ROger EXPECT(emphasis) Visual 19L" then motored on for another min or two before I called back to confirm the I was actually CLEARED for Visual 19L...

I think that was goof on ATC's part - not to explicitly state "Cleared For" -- but I'm certainly not casting stones from my glass house and I was glad I called up to clear up the confusion.

http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/ ... _17510.mp3 (3:35-4:35 N3298s)

Now I'll try to find the clearance at the end of the radar vectors onto VNY1... I think I was told to intercept the SID then as filed - which means I was ok to climb on my own to FL210...I wanna see if I was right or not there as I did 1) announce I was leaving 13000 to FL210 but didn't ask.

EDIT: Ok I think I goofed. She says "JOIN" the VNY1 - never amends my altitude (13000) then switch to another controller. To whom I announce passing 14000 to FL210. D'oh.

http://assets.pilotedge.net/recordings/ ... _17510.mp3 (~10)
T
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

The key words should be in your clearance on the ground...

"Climb via SID, (or that and "except maintain 5000" for example)

You'll have to locate the top altitude on the DP. If at some point in the air ATC says "climb and maintain xxx" that will supersede your climb via SID and you'd just climb all the way up to their altitude.
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL