Mini Route frequency change...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Bidimus

Re: Mini Route frequency change...

Post by Bidimus »

The link I posted takes you to 34m 45s in the video. This is just as he exits the mini route and contacts Hawthorn. He preps the radio for Torrance then as he reaches his visual approach landmark makes the switch. This landmark from what I can tell is still within Hawthorn Delta though near the edge.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Yes he switches a bit early.

The easiest way to tell is to use the VOR/DME which he has set to SMO. When he switches he's on the 123 radial at 8.4 DME which is within the HHR delta (by about a mile).

You'll note he was at 2500', if he had climbed to 2600' he would be above the HHR airspace and it would be a moot point. That's why I recommend the 100' climb once clear of LAX on the V3.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Bidimus

Post by Bidimus »

Peter Grey wrote:Yes he switches a bit early.

The easiest way to tell is to use the VOR/DME which he has set to SMO. When he switches he's on the 123 radial at 8.4 DME which is within the HHR delta (by about a mile).

You'll note he was at 2500', if he had climbed to 2600' he would be above the HHR airspace and it would be a moot point. That's why I recommend the 100' climb once clear of LAX on the V3.
Ok. That explains it then. Thanks.

How would that initial call look climbing out of the delta? "Hawthorn Tower, Baron 7019G, Exiting mini route Southbound, climbing to 2700" ?
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

How would that initial call look climbing out of the delta? "Hawthorn Tower, Baron 7019G, Exiting mini route Southbound, climbing to 2700" ?
Yup that would work.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net