Future of VFR certs...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
BluesmanEP

Re: Future of VFR certs...

Post by BluesmanEP »

Really?? How does that work?

Controller: "N12345 cleared to KSNA via.... ....squawk 1234"

and you reply "N12345 squawk 1234"? huh... I've never heard of that. Cool.
BE58 - N4854B
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Steve,

That would be quite a bait and switch. The Remote Coaching page does say that they are being offered as a "preview" before they are released to the public. This implies that they will indeed to released to the public as planned. I simply need to get the cockpit videos finished. Many of them were done (close to a year ago) but were lost in a 3TB hard drive crash late last year and need to be reshot. There are also a couple that weren't yet shot at all. We're also working on integrating the roster into the main site rather than the separate training site.

I realize they're delayed and that many people are waiting for them, but the only way they could be done by now is if I had dropped several commercial projects to get them done, at which point, the future of the network would no longer be guaranteed. I am confident I had the priorities right.

If there ever is a plan to NOT make them public (there is no such plan), I will announce it, but until then, you should assume that the stated intention to have them replace the V1, V2 & V3 is still valid, albeit, almost comically delayed.
I hope that my question did not come across as an accusation, Keith. I should have written something more like this:

Are the CAT ratings something that was developed for Remote Coaching customers only? Will there be a simpler or less feature-rich set of ratings for other PE users?

I've always enjoyed the fact that the V-ratings were simple and had the transcripts and videos, but I guess I thought of the videos as bonus content.

As far as the details of the delay, wow...I'm genuinely sorry that you've had to go through all of that
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

No problem, Steve. It was one of those things where it could've been read with a number of tones. I was concerned it was leaning in a direction that you hadn't intended.

The CAT ratings were developed well before Remote Coaching was fleshed out. When RC was initially developed, it did NOT contain any reference to the CAT ratings. It was only shortly before launch that I we decided to incorporate them because it was truly anticipated that the public release of the CAT ratings would follow in a reasonable amount of time.

The CAT ratings were designed to replace the V1, V2 &V3, a progression which I had developed in 2005 for VATSIM that is missing many important steps and hurries the pilot through some pretty complex tasks. This was by design, because getting anyone on VATSIM to spell VFR, let alone do 11 VFR flights was nearly impossible. So, it had to be short & sweet before diving into IFR. There is no such restriction on PilotEdge. I know the CAT ratings will be well received and are a much needed upgrade to the training program for our audience.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

BluesmanEP wrote:Really?? How does that work?
The pilot reads back the squawk only if they are 100% confident that they got everything. It typically happens when you are cleared to your airport without a route amendment. It saves a tremendous amount of radio time.

I used it on a r/w flight from HND to LAX a few weeks ago. The only things of interest were the initial altitude and dep freq. I copied those down and was 100% confident that they were as he'd assigned, so I opted to only read the squawk back.

If memory serves, there are ATIS recordings that say, "readback squawk only unless you have questions about the clearance," or words to that effect, specifically to reduce freq congestion.
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

And this is valid on PE also? I often hear controllers reminding people they need to read back a clearance, how do they know that I'm confident in my notes, not that I just don't know what I'm doing?
BE58 - N4854B
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

BluesmanEP wrote:And this is valid on PE also? I often hear controllers reminding people they need to read back a clearance, how do they know that I'm confident in my notes, not that I just don't know what I'm doing?
Some controllers may want to confirm for themselves that you have the correct info. The controller that gave the clearance has a share in the fault if there is a deviation from that clearance at times.

At KSNA, you hear this a lot... It's not mandatory for a pilot to read back the runway assignment for a landing clearance but some KSNA tower controllers will have the pilot (usually a VFR) confirm the runway for landing because they are very close and parallel (20R/L)
Kyle Sanders
kullery

Post by kullery »

Here is an example of a "squawk only" read back from one of Keith's videos at 2:45 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BtcwWkXJuQ
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
BluesmanEP

Post by BluesmanEP »

Very helpful. Thanks!
BE58 - N4854B