Future of VFR certs...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Bidimus

Future of VFR certs...

Post by Bidimus »

I've heard rumor that the VFR certs will be going through a change in the near future. I've been having difficulty getting up the nerve to do the V3 and I feel like time is running out. Is there any additional information on this change as far as time lines and how much notice we'll have to finish our current exams if we haven't yet?
zengei

Re: Future of VFR certs...

Post by zengei »

From what I've heard (so someone correct me if I'm wrong), the V-ratings will just be extended to 11 ratings, like the I-ratings. I don't know if the actual content of the "new" V-1, V-2, V-3 ratings will differ substantially from the "old" V-1, V-2, V-3 ratings.

In any case, I don't think it should affect your decision to do the current V-3. It's not like the lessons the V-3 teaches will become invalid after the new ratings are implemented, so consider it good practice.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The new VFR certs are the next project to launch after Real World IFR (launche) and Remote Coaching (days away).

The V1, V2 and V3 will disappear from the training site and will be replaced with the CAT ratings, which consist of 11 VFR flights. There is a rating within the CAT system which is functionally similar to the V3.
Bidimus

Post by Bidimus »

Yikes. Sounds like I better swallow my nerves and get this done. :)

My drive is two fold. Our VA has two paths to become certified to represent the VA on online networks. The path I'm choosing is by way of getting my I-5 but of course my VFR certs have to come first for that and honestly I've been taking too long to go about it. I just can't seem to get out of my own head. Secondly I'm a completionist and now I've started the VFR certs I need to finish them. I'll go back and do the new VFR certs (CAT ratings?) later as well.

On a side note, I can't wait to hear what the Remote Coaching project is all about. That sounds exciting.
par2005

Post by par2005 »

I think you're overthinking the V-3 test.

Long story short you just open the SkyVector Los Angeles TAC, choose 2 of the 4 boxes on the top left and fly them :) I am sure you can follow VOR radial, so..

If I did it, you sure can :D

Regarding the additional VFR tests, I am soooo looking forward to it. I thought there must be more than those v-3 tests..

Anyone could generate few ideas of anything a bit more challenging to do on VFR flights?
Bidimus

Post by Bidimus »

par2005 wrote:I think you're overthinking the V-3 test.

Long story short you just open the SkyVector Los Angeles TAC, choose 2 of the 4 boxes on the top left and fly them :) I am sure you can follow VOR radial, so..

If I did it, you sure can :D
You're absolutely right. I have no doubt I can pass. On the first try even. I've done dry runs offline. With AP and without. The problem is not a technical one but of an irrational fear of speaking on the radio. Even if it is only simulated.

It's odd because I can talk on TeamSpeak with guild mates in the games I play just fine. It's only the simulated radio environment that does this to me whether it be PilotEdge, Vatsim, or IVAO. I have the same issue when I have to give a presentation for my job too.

It is actually physically uncomfortable for me speak on the radio when I go online even though I've somehow managed to even get a few flights in so far. The process is helping though and I'm so thankful for PilotEdge for that. Not only are the controllers patient and professional but the strict adherence to real world protocols gives me a little comfort in knowing the flow of communication will be somewhat predictable in nature. It's been very therapeutic.

Like I said, I have to get out of my own head. Let's see if I can do that tonight.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'll give you a heads up before the V3 turns into a pumpkin. If the radio is a source of anxiety, you might want to perform operations which are already familiar (for example, make up 10 variants of the V-2 and go fly those). This way, the flying will be familiar and the radio will be familiar (although not identical) each time. The more you do it, the easier it's likely to get. Put simply, do it until you're bored of talking on the radio.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

My thoughts,
Setup the aircraft as much as you can with any information you can get your hands on before you speak to ATC. Radio freq used for the flight at hand, transponder on, flight control checks, Altimeter settings, weather(ATIS), best guess at active runway(hint - winds) fuel full, etc...double check everything and feel like you are under control before speaking. Do not get behind the airplane - almost always a disaster to try and catch up.
Say the phrase to yourself, before contacting ATC - I still do this before I ask for VFR dept...
Your response to ATC does not have to be immediate, but it has to be in a timely fashion. Take a sec or two to understand what they are asking, then answer or ask to "say again" - there is no shame in this. Whatever you do - do not guess!! - it is a 100% fact that you will be wrong - this coming from someone with lots of experience with this...LOL!
I made myself up a VFR form that I use to make sure that I have everything covered before contacting ATC and keep a clipboard full of the forms hung on the simulator.
Just so you know, I learned a couple of new things last night on 2 different VFR flights that had never been asked of me before(and I am 100% VFR!). The learning never stops, so also be prepared to keep learning and as Peter(ATC) said to me last night " That is why we are here."

YIKES - I think I am getting off topic!!!
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Bidimus

Post by Bidimus »

Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm always impressed at how supportive the community is both here and in aviation in general.

Vincent, It's funny what you say about guessing. I listen to a lot of ATC since I started the online flying. One of my favorite haunts has become the day archives from PilotEdge. I usually keep at least one or two recent days on my phone to listen to in the car and at work. Just this morning I heard one form earlier this week where the pilot was definitely new to flying with live ATC. When he got his IFR instructions he only copied the squawk. When asked for full read back he was clearly guessing. Naturally this did not go unnoticed by the controller he got a nice polite hand slap.

In my mind I'm flying along with the pilots on the archives. I'm finding that where weeks ago it was half garbled mess, now it's engaging stories from the cockpit. I will occasionally hear something comparable to an activity I plan to do and will practice the call out loud. This helps a lot with the familiarity.

I've been thinking that a short flight up the coastal route to somewhere north of the Bravo would be a nice ice breaker. Thanks for the heads up Keith, I hope I won't be needing it much longer. :)
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

On the topic of IFR read-backs, does PE simulate "squawk-only" read-backs? Would certainly save me about 30 seconds, and it would be fun to try if I'm certain I got all the info.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed