Future of VFR certs...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Peter Grey

Re: Future of VFR certs...

Post by Peter Grey »

On the topic of IFR read-backs, does PE simulate "squawk-only" read-backs?
This is at the controllers discretion here. The reason is some pilots who don't understand part of their clearance tend to not read it back as a way to get around their lack of knowledge.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
N119XD - Shawn

Post by N119XD - Shawn »

i was same way. got over that quick. Take a trip from KSNA to KSBA using coastal. File for 6500 VFR w/ following. The coastal is pretty straightforward...not a bunch of radio changes and with following the ATC will guide you and already know your intentions. The mini, not as easy because you get handed off from tower to tower and announce at certain positions along the way, then the switch from hawthorn over to Zamperini can be a challenge in a fast plane. Point is, practice each leg by itself. On the way to SBA do coastal, then on the way back do mini...once you've done it once or twice you should be golden.

Good luck!
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Whoops, thought the discussion was over, didn't mean to hijack... On that note, I may just have to try out squawk-only read backs then - just have to not mess up the squawk code, since that would make a bad impression ;) For the V-3, my recommendation would be to just do it. When I was doing "prep" for it, I watched FroogleSim's V-3 video a couple of times over, did the whole thing 2-3 times offline just practicing flying radials (stupid idea - reason? VORs are easy. VORs+Scary Controllers are not so easy), and then reviewed the transcript for another half-week. Reason I was nervous? Because the blue lines looked scary and messy - thought for sure I would mess something up. Turns out, first time I attempted it (practice run) went 99% perfect, with the only mess-up being switching to Torrence Tower while still in the Hawthorne Delta (*sigh*). In my opinion, the challenge of the first few ratings is not necessarily the material covered (although that is also important), its getting over the mike-fright. Like Keith said, the more you key the mike, the more comfortable you get. I can remember a few months back I could barely fly on PE since I couldn't operate the rudder pedals - my legs were shaking that bad. What helped me was the fact that its a training network, so if a controller happens to get mad at you, just say "I'm training - sorry!" :D Now look at me! My legs are strapped to my chair, so I don't notice the shaking anymore :shock: !

In hindsight, it seems I went overboard with the smilies.....
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

I really hope you mean the smilies and not the leg straps...
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
par2005

Post by par2005 »

In the meantime, until more vfr tests appear - any ideas to challenge myself with VFR ?
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Fly from KSDM through the SAN VFR corridor. You can do it all without ATC, but you have to be pretty precise. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out where you have to go.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

par2005 wrote:In the meantime, until more vfr tests appear - any ideas to challenge myself with VFR ?
Try FSEconomy.net it's the crack cocaine of Flight Simulation. The combination of FSE and PE is especially powerful.

Be sure to talk to your Wife and kids every few days or so. Remember not to chase the $$'s too much or risk burn out.

There are TONS of jobs to fly in/out of the Official PilotEdge hub at Rancho Vallecito (46CA). All VFR flying in/out the area. Skud running and mountains to avoid. In addition to the MOA's and restricted areas to navigate around. You will learn how to read a VFR chart or risk hitting something.

Note, in my own case I have found flying FSE jobs on PE helps to keep me "honest". When flying offline I would do unsafe things in an attempt to save Hobbs time. For example flying routes that would not be allowed. When conducting flights on PE, this forces you to plan and fly a valid flight.
Bidimus

Post by Bidimus »

Nelson L. wrote:In hindsight, it seems I went overboard with the smilies.....
One can not over do smiles. :) lol

Smarty pants I was, I thought I got this. Let's do fun no pressure flight like Keith suggested. Something that should be familiar. Turns out it just raised more questions... lol

So I was going to do the first leg of the Alphabet challenge to warm up. It seemed like a nice mix between my first flight on PE and the V2. Non towered to a Class D. It turns out Apple Valley has a scary thick red border around it which, if I read the legend correctly, means it's in Class E airspace. Does this mean I call Joshua Dep for clearance before switching over to CTAF to get rolling? Climbing over Victorville to avoid the Delta there is easy enough in the Barron. The arrival at Bakersfield is simple enough though I'm not sure if I should contact tower or approach at that end. I assume approach.

In the end I sat and listened to Joshua App on the radio for a bit then tried it offline to see if it would execute like I thought it would. :/

So Apple Valley clearance? Or is it like any other non towered and I just worry about CTAF. And approach at a Delta that has approach? Request from app or tower?
zengei

Post by zengei »

Bidimus wrote:It turns out Apple Valley has a scary thick red border around it which, if I read the legend correctly, means it's in Class E airspace.
It's Class E brought down to 700 feet AGL rather than 1200 feet AGL. The surface of the airport is still technically in Class G.
Bidimus wrote:Does this mean I call Joshua Dep for clearance before switching over to CTAF to get rolling?
Nope, no clearance needed at all.
Bidimus wrote:The arrival at Bakersfield is simple enough though I'm not sure if I should contact tower or approach at that end. I assume approach.
You can just contact tower when you're an appropriate distance away. Unless you want flight following, then you can contact Joshua App when you're in the air; I don't think you can get flight following on the ground at non-towered airports.

EDIT: Also keep in mind the direct route puts you right through restricted 2515 and over Edwards AFB.