LA Class B Mini-route in a Turboprop

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
ridikamus

LA Class B Mini-route in a Turboprop

Post by ridikamus »

Recently, someone asked about bravo transition routes in helicopters - I have a similar request for clarification:

The Mini-route restrictions state, in part, "Fixed-wing, non-turbo jet aircraft only". This *seems* to allow turboprops like the Royal Turbine Duke (B60T) I am considering flying for the V-03, since a turboprop is clearly not a turbojet, but I'd rather avoid having to re-plan my return leg mid-flight if the controllers decide otherwise. Does anyone have any insight on the purpose of the "non-turbo jet" restriction?
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Peter Grey

Re: LA Class B Mini-route in a Turboprop

Post by Peter Grey »

Turboprop aircraft are ok to use the miniroute.

I can't tell you the why behind the no turbojet restriction on the miniroute.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Bidimus

Post by Bidimus »

The Special VFR route, which is similar, has a speed restriction. I wonder if it could be related to the average speed of aircraft that are likely to use that route?
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

Speed in the SFR area makes sense, since the aircraft are responsible for visually separating themselves via the advisory freq, but it could still be a factor for the mini-route.

Thanks Peter for the official word regarding PE controllers, and Bidimus for the info!
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

The Special VFR route, which is similar, has a speed restriction. I wonder if it could be related to the average speed of aircraft that are likely to use that route?
Only 1 aircraft is allowed at the miniroute at a time so it's not a speed restriction issue. Functionally you can't exceed 200 on the miniroute anyway (you'd be in violation of 2 separate speed limits the second you left he miniroute if you were over 200).

My *guess* is that the miniroute is only 2 miles long, at Jet speeds that happens very quickly and the miniroute is a very controller intensive transition. At jet speeds the controller can't do everything they need to do in time.

My second guess is that it's for noise abatement (SMO is the home of noise abatement). They don't want jets that low overflying Santa Monica.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Peter, would you (or the others here) know of the history of the Mini Route? It seems like it's courting disaster to put that kind of traffic volumes that close together.

Also from a 2005 AOPA article:
Let's look at the two low-altitude ones first. There's one called the Mini route that connects the Santa Monica airport and the Hawthorne airport and is now available 24 hours a day. When flying northwestbound (toward Santa Monica) pilots must stay clear of Class Bravo airspace (the floor is at the surface in the vicinity of Los Angeles International Airport [LAX]) until an ATC clearance is received. Clearances are obtained by speaking with Hawthorne Tower when northwestbound and Santa Monica Tower when southeastbound. When a clearance is required and those towers are closed, contact LAX Tower on 119.1. This route is flown at 2,500 feet msl. Update: Departing Santa Monica in a climbing left turn directly to Loyola College (LMU) for entry into the Mini route at 2,500 feet is marginal for the typical trainer. With takeoff clearance, an SMO tower local controller will normally request you fly to the shoreline and then make a right turn around to LMU to ensure you will be at 2,500 feet at LMU for crossing LAX. (emphasis mine)
Thought your controller team might find that interesting, the note about the SMO tower instructions.

Other weird thing. LAX operations rules forbid a student pilot to taxi, takeoff or land at KLAX. LInk to PDF, page 8

Also related tangentally, a 2010 report by a consultant hired by the City of Rancho Palos Verde to provide feedback about an FAA consideration to turn the KLGB Class Delta into a Charlie complete with diagrams and other goodies. I'm going to read it tonight. So far it's a fascinating behind the scenes about how these things get decided. Imagine a KLGB Charlie that overlapped the KLAX Bravo! Snip from the PDF below.

ImageKLGB Charlie by warwick, on Flickr

Edit - Original letter to airmen opening the route
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Bonus:

A YouTubevideo of a MiniRoute transition
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge