V2 fail then pass debrief...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
stealthbob

V2 fail then pass debrief...

Post by stealthbob »

So to start I did pass the V2 on my second attempt, failed the first one due to the fact that I switched over to KONT TWR as I was entering the airspace..thought I would be in trouble if I didn't contact?

Ok so now I know you stay on frequency until directed to switch buuut....

Now comes my next run, all great btw but I got really close to KONT again and nothing. Just about 9 miles out I was asked to switch to Socal Departure...I did and got the altimeter and also told to switch to KONT TWR.

The TWR controller was consumed with a guy asking for VFR clearance to FL240???, by the time I was able to mic in I was 4 miles out and turning on a left downwind leg at pattern altitude...I was cleared to land and passed.

Now here is the question...how long can I wait out radio chatter before I am in trouble? I had not established contact with the TWR yet here I was transitioning into the pattern.

Why does the approach wait so long to hand me off to the Tower or was this just part of testing me?

Loving the challenge btw...this is a great diversion from other stresses in life. I have been on the trial but will now move over to a paid sub, monthly for now mind you...Summers have a way of consuming lots of outside time in the garage with my 54 Buick. :D
Nelson L.

Re: V2 fail then pass debrief...

Post by Nelson L. »

No idea about the handoff, controller could've been busy or forgotten about you while sneaking in a snack behind Keith's virtual back (he has eyes everywhere :shock: ). For the tower, I'm assuming that since you turned left downwind, APP gave you traffic instructions. As long as you're not going to turn base/final, just wait it out until the controller is done - extend the downwind. For the first fail (which I think was actually caught of Peter's livestream!), since you have Advisory services, you've established 2 way communications with the airspace's controlling agency (in this case, Socal), meaning you can enter the Charlie without talking to TWR. If the controller is busy, they'll understand (presuming you don't land without a clearance of course!), and your close proximity to the field on check-in can be explained by saying you were with APP.

Congratulations on the V2 Pass - hurry on the V3 before it becomes another chapter in those old, dusty history textbooks (any day now...)! :D

PS - Remember people, FL180 and above is Class A airspace, no VFR! :(
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Yea I have been reading about the switch over...I made a test flight for the V3 off line, no issue with the nav but its all about the radio handling right.

Thanks for the clarification, also nice to know my failure was so public...simply epic. :facepalm:

...yea, even this v2 failing rookie knows that FL180 and above is Class A and also a FL not altitude as it uses a standard 2992 altimeter setting and is different than a altitude level.

I have been watching the workshops ;)
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

stealthbob wrote:I have been watching the workshops ;)
Yep, V3 is all radio work. And am I the only one who thinks Keith is brainwashing us with his monotonous voice - how else would we choose to sit in front of a computer for 2 or so hours at a time listening to someone lecture us on aviation principles - and someone who isn't even a CFII :o!!?? On a more serious (*cough*) note, those workshops are pure gold - I went from someone who didn't know how to do closed traffic with ATC and who thought the LAX TAC was a bunch of incoherent lines drawn by some madman on a mountain, to someone who can do end-end flights IFR and read charts with a "certain" level of proficiency (the LAX TAC is still drawn by a buddha on a mountaintop....) within the space of a month or so. Happy flying :)

Once again, overdose of smilies...
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed