Another teachable monet...V2 fail

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
stealthbob

Another teachable monet...V2 fail

Post by stealthbob »

So by now I am gaining some confidence on the mic, still get irrationally nervous though...not sure why as I am normally a confidant public speaker?

Just this morning I flew an IFR KSAN-KSBA using the TEC SANN36 with little issue other than not including the Peble 4 SID in the flight plan.

I thought I should continue and get the ratings cleared through and had great confidence moving into the I2.

All good, made some silly fumbles on the mic but got departed and was on the directed departure hdg of 175 with dep freq set at 119.6. Got the call to switch to departure and did so but was told I was on the wrong frequency?

Here is where I made the mistakes...I questioned the controller that I thought I was on the correct one that was given...I then stepped on a couple of transmissions as I could not hear the other side so I switched back to JW TWR :facepalm: . Next bad move I guess was transitioning onto the filed route as I was trying to figure out the issue.

Ok so lessons learned:

I should not switch off the established frequency even if it is wrong? I guess I should have continued to ask for the correct one from this controller but I was stepping on unheard comms when I tried to confirm that I was tuned to the directed freq causing more issues.

Why was the freq wrong, I am pretty sure that was what was given and verified?

I was also admonished (quite nicely btw ;) ) that I didn't follow direction that I was to wait for vectors to the V20 airway. If is was in a lost comms situation should I not fly the flight plan as filed?

Like I said, I made enough mistakes here that I think it would help me greatly to have them hashed out....chalk it up to a teachable moment. I need to correct my approach to these issues to prevent repeats.

Please any commentary would be appreciated...
Nelson L.

Re: Another teachable monet...V2 fail

Post by Nelson L. »

Honestly, that seems more like a bunch of little things that culminated into, well, a bit of a mess (but then again, that's how most air disasters happen...) For the first question, yes, never switch off a frequency unless you're told to - even if you've contacted the wrong freq. On the ground, you can just say, "we'll check the freq." and get on with your day (in most situations), seeing as you're most likely getting ready to taxi (i.e. in a non-movement area) or short of a runway (not moving). In the air, the controller will give you directions, be it a frequency, course guidance, etc... Could you give a time of the flight? Since you used JW, I'm assuming you meant KSNA-KSBA, not KSAN (San Diego Lindbergh)-KSBA. The departure frequency at John Wayne is 127.2, regardless of direction of flight (unless there's a controller thing which has an exception... blah blah blah, lets be honest, that's for the controllers to worry about). If they gave you 119.6, I'm almost positive that's the KSAN departure frequency :) Yes, if you were lost-comms, join the airway. Thing is, you weren't lost comms. You were in contact with a controller who had presumably radar identified you if he/she realized you weren't in their sector (do real world controllers see aircraft outside of their sectors? I know that the PE guys/gals can). Since you were in contact with ATC, stay on the heading until told to do otherwise. If its not a situation in which you could squawk 7600, its not a lost-comms situation. Being on the wrong freq. doesn't constitute as lost comms. The "stepping on others" thing is understandable given the fact that all conversations are 1-sided if the controller isn't working below TWR, but as Keith's stream showed last night, there's a right place and a wrong place to give a long speech. If the controller was busy, I would just ask for the freq. and query later - others can't hear if you're giving a speech. Out of curiosity, the V2 is VFR, and the I2 is KSNA-KCRQ if I recall correctly? Did I miss something with the KSNA-KSBA? Did you mean I4? Either way, none of those mistakes were really major, so hooray! :P
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Hey thanks for the quick reply...

Just to clear up one thing...the KSNA-KSBA was an earlier and if I may add a very successful flight.

This one I am talking about was the KNSA-KCRQ...for the I2

So looking back the moment that could have prevented all this was to confirm the freq when it was given...it sounded strange as I know its normally 127.2 from KSNA. The one thing that made me go along with it was that this was my first departure South from KSNA.

I did try and confirm that I was on 119.6 as directed with the controller but that's where I was messing the bed so to say for others on the comms. I also have a strong sense of self initiated problem solving and I guess I was trying to fix the issue by contacting the TWR but once I mic'd in it felt wrong and it was. After that I had the "they are expecting me to go this way so I will" mentality.

In the end I am not disappointed that this happened..it will only help in my future flights when this comes up.

Just thought I would be self deprecating and share to all my failures...also, and more importantly get clarification on how to deal with this issue if it were to happen again.

Thanks for that...

I will fly this later tonight and it will be text book! ...believe it ! 8-)
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Ah, ok - I see it now. Just a note, if you read back 119.6 during the clearance, then both you and the controller are at fault - you for missing the freq. and the controller for not catching a wrong read back. A quick "confirm departure 19 6" to the tower before switching would've been equally as "correct" if clearance was busy (waiting on the clearance frequency is also as good). Good luck on the I2!
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Just flew it and passed..no issues on this one except for once me picking up another Baron's call-sign directions lol

The controllers were busy tonight...mostly rookies like me flying and trying the exams. My hat is off to them on their ability to keep everything straight and crash free. lol

Best part is the confidence gained on every attempt...

That being said, any "incursions" on PE? Are they documented and analyzed like RW?