I5 Alternate Altitude Filing for Non-pressurized.

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
fivechickens

I5 Alternate Altitude Filing for Non-pressurized.

Post by fivechickens »

Can you fly the I5 in a non-pressurized aircraft? Looking at the SID for VNY1 shows a climb to 12000' for ETHER TO DAGGETT, which I am unable to perform without bringing along my scuba-gear.

As you may have figured out, I'm intending to do my entire I-rating program in the BK17 so I would like to achieve this flight without suffocating.

Edit: My planned route:

http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1504/pdf ... ANNUYS.PDF

VNY1 DAG CRESO3
PE V3 - I11 Rated - All in a Helicopter (BH407, BK117, S-92)
Alphabet Challenge in a Helicopter - 2 legs completed.
Marcus Becker

Re: I5 Alternate Altitude Filing for Non-pressurized.

Post by Marcus Becker »

VNY1 PMD DAG CRESO3 @ 11,000
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

The upper limit for un-pressurized is between 12,500 and 14,000 for more than 30 minutes. Above 14,000 the crew needs Oxygen immediately.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=838&p=31267&hilit=o ... 000#p31267

Below 12,500 there is no limit.

However the FFA does recommend additional training for pilots conducting high altitude flights. And differences in human physiology may mean that some people may be affected more than others. READ older, poor health.

As a GA pilot you can "legally" conduct this flight as long as it's not over 12,500 feet for more than 30 minutes without supplemental oxygen. You could go higher with a supplemental oxygen system. A pressurized cabin is not required. The supplemental oxygen system could be as simple as a cannula tube in the nose.

Bottom line. YMMV. Expect there to be differences in the rules if operating in different countries or if carrying PAX for $$'s.
fivechickens

Post by fivechickens »

Currently enroute at FL011!

Watch my flight live: (I'm bored and lonely)

http://www.twitch.tv/fivechickens/
fivechickens

Post by fivechickens »

I5 done:

http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=99357

I was cleared visual approach from CRESO to 19R, and amended to the west helipad once lined up on the runway. The only thing I should have planned a little better was the visual approach plan and contingent IFR approach if weather was below minimums, as I landed at the pad exactly with .5hrs of fuel remaining. Worst case I would have diverted to Henderson, but failed the i5 if we ended up fuel critical. I calculated a burn rate of 426lb/hr enroute at 11,000' which is a fair bit higher than I anticipated.