Observations from a newbie...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
stealthbob

Re: Observations from a newbie...

Post by stealthbob »

Thanks Keith, it is getting more clear to me...

I think I started this thread out of frustration that I was not "sure" of the routing required, the exams were all done for me with transcripts included.

Like you said, controllers will correct me if I file an inappropriate route, which is a lot easier to handle than a "You failed!" when messing up a provided route on an exam...
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

stealthbob wrote:To start I have to say a big thanks to all the very helpful folks around here, I needed a diversion from some issues in RW and this new hobby as been a great way to occupy my mind and challenge me.

Now that you have me captured in my new found addiction I need to get past a block that I am at.

I just passed the I6, and am now getting comfortable reading charts, talking with ACT and with navigating in general. My block now is that I am at a loss of what to do on my own. I find myself gravitating to the rating flights cause they are already laid out for me, all have to do is fly the instructions.
Regarding flight planning. I personally like to research the flight plan before filling. The goal is to submit a flight plan with as few of changes as possible. Two tools that help to get closer to that goal are:

http://www.myflightroute.com/
http://peaware.pilotedge.net/

If filing IFR user the MyFlightRoute to see if there's a TEC route available. If there is a TEC route available, always start there.

If no TEC route is available, then use the "city pair" search option of the PEaware to see some of the other routes filed and flown by other PE members. Often best to look for the routes with a similar aircraft type.

Once you have a possible route in mind, use Skyvector to lay out the route so that it can be visualized before hand. If these steps are done before hand IMO the number of times that ATC will change the route will be greatly reduced.
stealthbob wrote:Anyway, just chiming in on where this newb is at....love the challenge but need more if that makes sense?
Suggestion. If looking to take your PE/sim hobby to the "next" level, consider adding FSEconomy to the mix. Be advised that FSE can be be "crack cocaine" of flight simulation. If you have an "addictive personality" be sure to say hello to your Wife and kids every so often.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

flightaware.com shows recently cleared routes between city pairs or nearby cities. myflightroute has tec routes, but nothing beyond that afaik.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Keith wrote: myflightroute has tec routes, but nothing beyond that afaik.
Nope.

A link to the flightaware page you mentioned is included on the CRAFT page. I always have trouble finding that page on the flightaware site.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5