Observations from a newbie...

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
stealthbob

Observations from a newbie...

Post by stealthbob »

To start I have to say a big thanks to all the very helpful folks around here, I needed a diversion from some issues in RW and this new hobby as been a great way to occupy my mind and challenge me.

Now that you have me captured in my new found addiction I need to get past a block that I am at.

I just passed the I6, and am now getting comfortable reading charts, talking with ACT and with navigating in general. My block now is that I am at a loss of what to do on my own. I find myself gravitating to the rating flights cause they are already laid out for me, all have to do is fly the instructions.

I understand we are close to a whole new list of ratings tests, I hope they will help me learn how to make flight plans on my own (IFR or VFR).

I have watched some of the workshops but I am a literal learner and unless I can apply the lesson viscerally I tend to not retain the lesson memory. I can read the charts somewhat but fear that I am completely off script if i try to fly it....in other words what to say to who and when.

Just for an example, I went a found the focused fields for today...KSNA>KMHV. How would I file that in IRF lets say? From my training I would start at a SLI departure then direct? What ALT? No TEC route exists and Simroutes doesn't cover it...I suppose I am missing a short but vacant link to the solution? I suppose I could just file what I want and wait for the dreaded fully corrected flight plan read back by ATC... :facepalm:

Anyway, just chiming in on where this newb is at....love the challenge but need more if that makes sense?
Nelson L.

Re: Observations from a newbie...

Post by Nelson L. »

Based on the fact that you passed your I6, I would say that you're not necessarily a "newbie" anymore; more unsure of yourself if anything. Trust in the ratings. KSNA-KMHV, I would personally file (not sure if there's preferred routing), SLI V459 BERRI V201 PMD DCT (without including the DCT - this is discounting the possibility of a SID/STAR. While I hate to say it, I'm to lazy to look up that stuff for a route I won't be flying). Since the direction of flight is westbound (i.e. even number + 500), I would file 10500 (based on MEA's). Don't be afraid for a full flight plan amendment - no one will kick you off the network simply because you didn't know the preferred routing between 2 airports. The best way to remember this stuff is to practice (and practice on challenging SIDS/STARS). If you need more GA routes, I would go to FSEconomy and find some hops there (although you may have to vary up the aircraft type a bit - not necessarily a bad thing). For the heavies, I would recommend the ATP Experience - if you're not comfortable joining yet, I would just look at the routes they're flying and try to fly them yourself. For reading charts, its usually not as complicated as it seems - Keith's workshops on IFR departures, enroute, and arrival were extremely helpful for my learning process.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

You quick reply's are always welcome Nelson!

I just consider myself a newb as I started all this a month ago...the more I learn, I learn there is far more to learn.

I guess like you say, it is just confidence in self routing...pointers are always welcome.

Thank you

Time to just dive in solo with self flight planing I guess :grin:

After looking how you planned that I can see what I need to do...It is so obvious but I think I found the missing link!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

10500 would be for VFR. 10000 would be appropriate for ifr.

If not exists, I would check for recently cleared routes on flightaware. It does show a route from sna to wjf, that should work. Alternatively, file what you want, fly what you get.

If the ratings aren't sticking, consider dong some do overs of the i4 to build confidence. After a while, there should be no mystery to what you are saying and why. A full route clearance is not a sign of failure. Copy it down and read it back. No problem.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Keith Smith wrote:10500 would be for VFR. 10000 would be appropriate for ifr
Huh, I never seem to make a post without an error in it... Thanks Keith.
X-Plane 10.45
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Nelson L. wrote: Huh, I never seem to make a post without an error in it...
....same can be said for all my flights
kullery

Post by kullery »

Nelson L. wrote: this is discounting the possibility of a SID/STAR. While I hate to say it, I'm to lazy to look up that stuff for a route I won't be flying)
FYI - New feature in Foreflight is great for visualizing all available SIDS/STARS
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

That's awesome!

I could not imagine any RW pilot not using this service, that being said it looks like a great tool for Simmers as well.

As far as learning to make flight plans, I was thinking maybe I should just link some plans and see where they can be improved and why.

Here is today's focused field assignment:

KMVH>KSMX

http://skyvector.com/?ll=35.19154250007 ... :A.K2.KSMX

This route kinda takes a long way around but it does use the airways and the entry point into the ILS 12 Approach.

Also I assume an ALT of 10000?
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Yep, 10,000 would work for your route. In that case, where you have to take such a big loop (which takes a lot of extra time), I would either file GMN FLW DCT - or something along those lines that would cut through the middle. This is a case where I personally would just go VFR with FF... No airspace of any kind in your presumed flight path, and no worries about taking an extra 20 minutes. Another option is just ask for a pop-up, as they're unlikely to assign such a big loop anyways.
X-Plane 10.45
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The LHS transition is shaped that way to keep you clear of and underneath the LAX arrival stream.

The routing you see on the flightaware site for the sna to wjf route mimics most of the route for the same reason.

Great find on the graphical Sid display, Ken!