I 1-11 Marathon

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
rtataryn

I 1-11 Marathon

Post by rtataryn »

Thanks to all the controllers today for your amazing work - as usual. I just stepped away from the sim after a >13 hour marathon taking all the I ratings (but skipping I-9 since I have no idea how to fly a jet). 8:00 AM to 9:30 pm I had one incident on takeoff for the I-4 out of KSNA when my touchscreens froze up. Declared an emergency and landed back on 20R without any instruments - fortunately in VMC. Shut down, let the screens cool a bit, set up some fans and carried on . . . Vision is a bit blurry, brain is totally fried . . . I'll clean up the empty Coke cans and Dorito bags that litter the sim floor another day. I'm may have an addiction problem. That's the first step to recovery right? ;)

Seriously, thanks a ton for this world called PilotEdge. Keith, your training materials and videos were a great resource.
Last edited by rtataryn on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
n65z

Re: I 1-11 Marathon

Post by n65z »

I was listening to your i7 and a bit of the i8 yesterday...good job! Would have been nice to watch on twitch, but the audio and map following was good enough

Pretty impressive to do them all in one day, it has taken me a month and I am only getting ready to do my i7 tonight!

Ps. I love the SR22 as that is what I fly the majority of the time.
Brian Pollock (N65z)
V1-3, I1-11
FSEconomy: DaBrain
Http://www.Twitch.tv/n65z
Http://www.YouTube.com/temeculagoldxchange
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Brian, I think I've heard you up there too with your Cirrus. I listened to and watched your I-6 out of LAX - very nicely done.
The I-10 was definitely the tough one. I found out while climbing out of SBA that my 430's for some reason didn't have the overlays in their system for either of the I-10 approaches, so I had to fly them entirely using VOR's, including the hold at GLJ and the approach and procedure turn at MQO. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed as tough earlier in the day, but I was wearing down for that level of button pressing, knob twisting and timing. It was also evening so the frequencies were pretty busy, which also seemed to affect my concentration. A couple of times I thought this might do me in, but I somehow pulled it off.
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
n65z

Post by n65z »

They are getting progressively harder (as designed)....I Have learned more in one month, then I ever did during my years simming pre-PE!
Brian Pollock (N65z)
V1-3, I1-11
FSEconomy: DaBrain
Http://www.Twitch.tv/n65z
Http://www.YouTube.com/temeculagoldxchange
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

That's OUTSTANDING!

I agree about the PE learning curve...

Did you find that fatigue was hurting your flying any towards the end? I did four sightseeing flights over San Diego bay one day (a popular thing for out of town groups). I don't remember falling asleep on my couch afterward. It can really take a toll...

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

RonCraighead wrote:That's OUTSTANDING!

I agree about the PE learning curve...

Did you find that fatigue was hurting your flying any towards the end? I did four sightseeing flights over San Diego bay one day (a popular thing for out of town groups). I don't remember falling asleep on my couch afterward. It can really take a toll...

Cheers,

Ron
I 1-8 were pretty smooth, but there's no doubt that fatigue really affected my flying toward the end. The last two, I-10 and I-11, I was finding that basic tasks like flying the hold and the procedure turn were straining all of my resources. Just before that I needed Marcus to repeat a vector and altitude crossing instruction at RZS three times before I could read it back properly.
Rod
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848