Preparing for I-3: it was fun (or not?)

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Rkon

Preparing for I-3: it was fun (or not?)

Post by Rkon »

Before fly I-3 I have decided to check myself on the reversal route, KBUR-KSNA. MyFlightRoute.com (for C172) gave us one TEC route only: V186 BAYJY V363 POXKU V8 SLI. Route looks awkward a bit with POXKU V8 SLI loop. "It's obligatory for separation with jets departing from KSNA" - I thought. KBUR_CLNS have read the whole route in clearance, up to SLI.
In flight, I have got advise from Soc_App about alt 4000 on V363 instead 5000. So I was in a hurry when have overshooted V363 with rapid descend from 5000 to 4000. I was trying to maintain 4000 with catching OBS2 needle when SocAPP gave next advise: " Cessna 31G heading 170 expect ILS20R approach". I was completely unpredictable! I was in preparing for POXKU with setting R-238 SLI radial on OBS1. And I was completely unready for catching ILS20R localizer!
Of course, I overshoot the localizer: I even hadn't tune LOC frequency in receiver.
What should I say to ATC in such case if I want to continue flight "as filed", without reduction?
Should I finish descend to 4000 before BAYJY, or begin descend after?
Keith Smith

Re: Preparing for I-3: it was fun (or not?)

Post by Keith Smith »

You should be prepared for vectors to the final approach course once you're in the terminal area. It makes little sense for you to fly to SLI only to then be vectored back to the northeast for vectors to the ILS 20R approach.

If you're within 30nm of the airport and you haven't yet looked at the approach you're going to fly then that would be something to work on.

Other than that, if ATC starts to vector you and you're not prepared to fly the approach, just request a delay vector to give yourself more time to prepare. Regarding the descent, that would be done as instructed by ATC. Specific intersections don't really factor into it.

The reason for the routing, by the way, is to provide compatibility with the LAX arrival flow.
Rkon

Re: Preparing for I-3: it was fun (or not?)

Post by Rkon »

Keith Smith wrote:If you're within 30nm of the airport and you haven't yet looked at the approach you're going to fly then that would be something to work on.
This is a point. Thanks Keith