I4 exam practice and questions.

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
RonCraighead

I4 exam practice and questions.

Post by RonCraighead »

Hello all...

About to start prepping for the I4 and had a couple questions.

There is obviously no transcript for a random assignment, and you have to plan it, which is the point I'm sure.

That said, I'm not up on GPS or VOR approaches yet.

It said that a visual approach is assigned. I take that to mean that at the altitudes assigned before you get clear for the approach, you should be able to see the field and execute a normal VFR style pattern to land... Or fly visually as assigned by the tower. Is that correct? Sounds obvious, but I've made mistakes by doing what I thought was obvious, so...

Further, Can you all post a few typical I-4 type routes for me to fly for practice? No point in bugging clearance. That way I can also plan at lunch while I'm at work... Love tablets for that!

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.
Kyle.Sanders

Re: I4 exam practice and questions.

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

One of the best websites to bookmark for flight on pilotedge- http://www.myflightroute.com

Your departure will be SNA. So go to the TEC Route Search and parse accordingly.

Visual approach info:

Aeronautical Information Manual 5-4-23 "Visual Approach"

a. A visual approach is conducted on an IFR flight plan and authorizes a pilot to proceed visually and clear of clouds to the airport. The pilot must have either the airport or the preceding identified aircraft in sight. This approach must be authorized and controlled by the appropriate air traffic control facility. Reported weather at the airport must have a ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility 3 miles or greater. ATC may authorize this type approach when it will be operationally beneficial. Visual approaches are an IFR procedure conducted under IFR in visual meteorological conditions. Cloud clearance requirements of 14 CFR Section 91.155 are not applicable, unless required by operation specifications.

b. Operating to an Airport Without Weather Reporting Service. ATC will advise the pilot when weather is not available at the destination airport. ATC may initiate a visual approach provided there is a reasonable assurance that weather at the airport is a ceiling at or above 1,000 feet and visibility 3 miles or greater (e.g., area weather reports, PIREPs, etc.).

c. Operating to an Airport With an Operating Control Tower. Aircraft may be authorized to conduct a visual approach to one runway while other aircraft are conducting IFR or VFR approaches to another parallel, intersecting, or converging runway. When operating to airports with parallel runways separated by less than 2,500 feet, the succeeding aircraft must report sighting the preceding aircraft unless standard separation is being provided by ATC. When operating to parallel runways separated by at least 2,500 feet but less than 4,300 feet, controllers will clear/vector aircraft to the final at an angle not greater than 30 degrees unless radar, vertical, or visual separation is provided during the turn-on. The purpose of the 30 degree intercept angle is to reduce the potential for overshoots of the final and to preclude side-by-side operations with one or both aircraft in a belly-up configuration during the turn-on. Once the aircraft are established within 30 degrees of final, or on the final, these operations may be conducted simultaneously. When the parallel runways are separated by 4,300 feet or more, or intersecting/converging runways are in use, ATC may authorize a visual approach after advising all aircraft involved that other aircraft are conducting operations to the other runway. This may be accomplished through use of the ATIS.

d. Separation Responsibilities. If the pilot has the airport in sight but cannot see the aircraft to be followed, ATC may clear the aircraft for a visual approach; however, ATC retains both separation and wake vortex separation responsibility. When visually following a preceding aircraft, acceptance of the visual approach clearance constitutes acceptance of pilot responsibility for maintaining a safe approach interval and adequate wake turbulence separation.

e. A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower. At uncontrolled airports, aircraft are expected to remain clear of clouds and complete a landing as soon as possible. If a landing cannot be accomplished, the aircraft is expected to remain clear of clouds and contact ATC as soon as possible for further clearance. Separation from other IFR aircraft will be maintained under these circumstances.

f. Visual approaches reduce pilot/controller workload and expedite traffic by shortening flight paths to the airport. It is the pilot's responsibility to advise ATC as soon as possible if a visual approach is not desired.

g. Authorization to conduct a visual approach is an IFR authorization and does not alter IFR flight plan cancellation responsibility.

REFERENCE-
AIM, Canceling IFR Flight Plan, Paragraph 5-1-15.

h. Radar service is automatically terminated, without advising the pilot, when the aircraft is instructed to change to advisory frequency.

-------------------------------------------------
via FAR/AIM 2015 iOS APP
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The purpose of the I-4 is to expose you to flight planning via TEC routes. If you'd like to plan a flight, try planning SNA-BUR. If the route that you select is the one that you flew in the I-3 rating, then you have the right idea.

Try planning to more flights from SNA to a few other fields, looking up the TEC routes in the Digital AFD, myflightroute.com or the FAA preferred route system.

Once you're comfortable with the process, then call for the I-4 rating.
Shinjo B

Post by Shinjo B »

I just flew it and was assigned SNA to [REDACTED].

:D

Good luck. If you can do I-3 you can do I-4. And then we can get together and commiserate around the I-5.
RonCraighead

Post by RonCraighead »

Thanks all! Exactly the info I needed.
Ron Craighead
VFR and IFR Pilot, High Performance and Complex Endorsement (AT-6 Texan), Tailwheel Endorsement (Cessna 170), Spin Endorsement (Great Lakes) and survived some acro!
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor.