Visual Approach Question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
David L

Visual Approach Question

Post by David L »

I have a question about an interesting scenario at the end of my recent I4 flight. I approaching KREI, an uncontrolled field, from the SW at 5000 when SOCAL approach cleared me for the visual approach and authorized a change to advisory frequency. There were two issues: 1) KREI is right next to the KSBD Class D airspace and the most direct path would have required me to transition that airspace. 2) The airspace top limit was 3200 ft, and KREI's published traffic pattern altitude was 2500 ft. It also called for a right pattern to RW 26. Passing over the Class D to the NW of KREI and then diving from 3300 ft down to 2500 ft to enter the right downwind directly seemed like a bad idea. My plan was to stay above the Class D until passing abeam KREI to the South, then descend and circle to the North for a right downwind entry (as shown in the attached image below).

Question 1 - Being on the KREI CTAF frequency, I would not be in 2-way comms with ATC so I could not enter the KSBD Class D even though I was on an IFR flight plan, correct?

Question 2- Would a more efficient way have been to switch first to KSBD tower, descend to 2500 within the KSBD Class D, then enter the right downwind for RW 26 at KREI from the NW?

Question 2b - Assuming I contacted KSBD tower "San Bernadino tower, Baron 740L 5 miles SW level 3300 landing Redlands", do I then have to request a descent to 2500 ft or was that authorized as part of my initial visual approach clearance from SOCAL approach?
Attachments
KREI.gif
KREI.gif (178.49 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
rtataryn

Re: Visual Approach Question

Post by rtataryn »

Edited.
Last edited by rtataryn on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
HRutila

Post by HRutila »

David L wrote:Question 1 - Being on the KREI CTAF frequency, I would not be in 2-way comms with ATC so I could not enter the KSBD Class D even though I was on an IFR flight plan, correct?
Incorrect. In the absence of an ATC-issued restriction on your visual approach, you are permitted to enter the Class D airspace of San Bernadino (SBD) if cleared for a visual approach to the Redlands Airport (REI) from the position you depicted.
David L wrote:Question 2- Would a more efficient way have been to switch first to KSBD tower, descend to 2500 within the KSBD Class D, then enter the right downwind for RW 26 at KREI from the NW?
The only situation in which this is remotely feasible is if you've canceled IFR 15 miles from San Bernadino and are now operating under VFR.

If you're still IFR, it is absolutely not prudent to call an ATC facility you have not been asked to call while still operating under IFR. There is an extensive coordination process that happens behind the scenes for every situation like this in the NAS. Taking extra unsolicited steps like this can lead to a loss of separation between IFR aircraft.
David L wrote:Question 2b - Assuming I contacted KSBD tower "San Bernadino tower, Baron 740L 5 miles SW level 3300 landing Redlands", do I then have to request a descent to 2500 ft or was that authorized as part of my initial visual approach clearance from SOCAL approach?
In the absence of a restriction on your visual approach, you can enter the SBD Class D in this scenario.
Harold Rutila
COMM-MEL/CFII
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

This Q&A above is why I love learning in SoCal airspace....great job on both sides here guys...
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge