Re: First weekend with PE

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Congrats!!!
Kyle Sanders
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Thanks Kyle, I appreciate that.

The I5 seems like a longer one, but I think I'm going to knock that one out when I get home from work this evening. Seems simple enough as long as you have the departure and arrival briefed and printed out. I already did a practice flight of the I6, that one will be a breeze.

I7 & 8 I'm actually looking forward to, something a little different. I9, I picked up the carenado phenom to do this one. The G1000 actually has SIDS and STARS in it. I don't think they used the same G1000 on this aircraft. I'll have to put a few flights in on it before doing the I9 to get used to the airspeed and sort out decent rates and such, but I sorta don't want to skip the I9. I'm stubborn that way.

This is a fun little journey. I might have to start the alphabet challenge afterwords.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

carguy4471 wrote: This is a fun little journey. I might have to start the alphabet challenge afterwords.
The Aplhabet Challenge offers the same level of training value (if not more) when fully completed, I highly recommend it.

It forces you into all sorts of scenarios that you may not have other wised tried. For some of the longer legs your Carenado phenom will serve you quite well. ;)
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

I had very briefly glanced at the first flight on the alphabet challenge and although short I think I saw a couple class D airspaces and maybe a MOA as well. Looked like a fun little VFR dodging the other airspaces. If I remember correctly anyhow.

To be honest, I'm not thrilled about the phenom. Maybe just because I haven't sorted out flying it yet. I assume the autopilot has AT, in which case that should make it a bit easier. I have a TBM I like for longer stuff now, it gets moving pretty nicely as well.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

carguy4471 wrote:I9, I picked up the carenado phenom to do this one. The G1000 actually has SIDS and STARS in it. I don't think they used the same G1000 on this aircraft.
I also got the Carenado Phenom 100 to do the long flights on the challenge (~7 months ago). I love flying that airplane. Had to do some SHORT field takeoffs and land on dirt / grass a few times but it all worked out great.

I'm pretty sure the G1000 in my Phenom is an implementation of the stock FSX GPS. In any event, the input mechanism is so hard that I installed a pop up RXP GNS430 to input flight plans, SIDS and STARS. I'll have to recheck the stock G1000, but I didn't think it had the SIDS / STARS.
--Bruce
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

bbuckley wrote:
I'm pretty sure the G1000 in my Phenom is an implementation of the stock FSX GPS. In any event, the input mechanism is so hard that I installed a pop up RXP GNS430 to input flight plans, SIDS and STARS. I'll have to recheck the stock G1000, but I didn't think it had the SIDS / STARS.
--Bruce
I think they call this their prodigy G1000 and it has an extension pack navdata airac 1310 that can be updated. The G1000 systems that came in my carenado cirrus and cessna expansion pack do not have departure or arrival procedures, only approach. The phenom has SIDS, STARS and approach selectable in the G1000. I didn't actually load in a flight plan but those are not selectable in the other carenado G1000 systems I have. Hence I modded my TBM to use my F1 GTN 750 (with help from others), which is pretty dang slick. This "prodigy" G1000 though seems to have increased functionality. I doubt that it has vnav and some other goodies only found in the high end stuff, but SIDS and STARS is enough for me!!!

The photo on the following page shows an arrival and approach procedure loaded:
http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

carguy4471 wrote:I think they call this their prodigy G1000 and it has an extension pack navdata airac 1310 that can be updated.
Ahhh, you must have the 300 with the Navigraph Extension Pack. I don't think they have that for the 100 so I created my own. After I input the FPL I can do everything else through the PFD / MFD and it's pretty cool. Prodigy is the proprietary Embraer / Garmin software implementation of a modified G1000 software for the Phenom series. Have fun!
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

bbuckley wrote:
carguy4471 wrote:I think they call this their prodigy G1000 and it has an extension pack navdata airac 1310 that can be updated.
Ahhh, you must have the 300 with the Navigraph Extension Pack. I don't think they have that for the 100 so I created my own. After I input the FPL I can do everything else through the PFD / MFD and it's pretty cool. Prodigy is the proprietary Embraer / Garmin software implementation of a modified G1000 software for the Phenom series. Have fun!
Like I said, I haven't dug into it much to see if it is as in depth as using the F1 GTN 750. That thing is a treat. Vnav is fabulous! I'm not a big turbojet guy personally but wanted something to be able to do the I9 with. It'll be nice to have in the stable for longer legs I suppose if I can learn to fly it. Airspeeds always get me with jets.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

carguy4471 wrote:Flying with a GTN 750 makes flying them a wee too easy. :D
In that case, I humbly suggest flying SMO to CRQ (with no shortcuts)

You'll see :)
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Keith Smith wrote:
carguy4471 wrote:Flying with a GTN 750 makes flying them a wee too easy. :D
In that case, I humbly suggest flying SMO to CRQ (with no shortcuts)

You'll see :)
I will look into that as soon as time allows. Sounds like a nice challenge.