Skipping the I9

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
carguy4471

Skipping the I9

Post by carguy4471 »

If one chooses not skip the I9, do we still get listed as completing the 10 or 11 when we do so?? I might come back to it once I put some time in on the Phenom but for now I think I'd like to move straight to the 10.

Thanks everyone!
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Skipping the I9

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I don't see why you couldn't skip this one. It is listed as optional.
Kyle Sanders
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Right, I read that part, but would I still get all the fame and glory of being listed as complete on the I10 and I11 when I knock those out??
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Right, I read that part, but would I still get all the fame and glory of being listed as complete on the I10 and I11 when I knock those out??
Yes, you'll still be listed as completing the I-10/11 when completed.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Woot!! Practicing the I10 right now to hopefully give it a go here shortly.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Come on D - don't practice it, go fer it!!!
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

I've been working on relying on my GTN a little less. Making sure I'm actually tuning the nav radios and even when using it. On my last two flights I only used it to tune the nav radios then just flew them with nav1 and 2 and minimized my GTN. Hopefully this help me a little when it comes to doing the I11. Once you minimize any moving map you feel a little lost but it fades quickly. I just have to make sure I'm not watching a pilotedge workshop while flying, the nav2 radial you are watching for can come and go quickly in a TBM or turbine duke, lol.

After the I10, the 11 doesn't sound as bad but that ODP hold does trip me up a little with entry and which radials to tune coming vs going. I just need to write it out on paper and fly it once, then I should be ready. The I10 was actually a little work though and I got caught on my first attempt and had to start over. I missed an MEA that was immediately after a VOR and on a short leg to a way point and I started my descent too early. Luckily it wasn't far into the flight and I just landed, reset and ran it again with perfection (besides my sloppy procedure turn).
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's a lofty goal, but you want to get to the point where you can try a procedure you haven't seen and pretty much nail it the first time. Not to be dramatic, but in real world and in IMC, you really do have to get it right each time, every time.

I'm not saying you should beat yourself up if you're making mistakes as you're learning (or getting back on the horse after a long break), but there will be times where you have a to fly a procedure that you haven't seen before, that you hadn't planned for, and it needs to be right without a practice run.
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Keith Smith wrote:It's a lofty goal, but you want to get to the point where you can try a procedure you haven't seen and pretty much nail it the first time. Not to be dramatic, but in real world and in IMC, you really do have to get it right each time, every time.

I'm not saying you should beat yourself up if you're making mistakes as you're learning (or getting back on the horse after a long break), but there will be times where you have a to fly a procedure that you haven't seen before, that you hadn't planned for, and it needs to be right without a practice run.
This is a very valid point. However, given I've flown exactly 1 hold in real life, and only been on pilot edge a short time now I am still in the stage of sketching it out and planning it before flying it. Once I've done that 5,8,10 times, I'm confident I could fly one that was thrown at me out of nowhere. I would presume while getting an instrument rating you practice them a fair bit. I've never had the luxury and thus need some practice.

You have described the goal that everyone should strive for, I know with a little practice I'll be there.