[Proposed]VFR Madness - A V-Ratings Challenge

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
stevekirks

[Proposed]VFR Madness - A V-Ratings Challenge

Post by stevekirks »

Updated 03-10-2016 at 2055Z

Current time to beat: Peter Grey at 59 minutes in a Bombardier Dash 8 Q-400
---
Need some VFR challenges? Here's one that has been rolling around in my head for awhile, so I thought I'd put it out there for someone crazy enough to try it:

Goal: Fly all three V-Ratings in one flight without stopping, with strict rules, best time wins.

Flight:

1. Three laps of the pattern at KSNA John Wayne Airport with a touch and go each time.
2. On the downwind after the THIRD touch and go, contact the controller for a VFR departure to the east with Ontario as the destination and request flight following.
3. Arrive at KONT Ontario, perform a touch and go and depart to the west with KSNA John Wayne as the destination and request flight following.
4. Arrive at KSNA John Wayne, perform a touch and go and depart to the WEST without flight following and maintain VFR at 2500. Head toward the ALBAS waypoint and orbit while performing Step 5 below.
5. Contact SoCal Approach and pick up a Bravo clearance for the Coastal Route northbound with flight following.
6. Transit the Coastal Route and head toward Van Nuys. Perform a touch and go at KVNY Van Nuys airport.
7. On the go from Van Nuys, pick up a Bravo clearance for the Mini Route southbound with flight following.
8. Transit the Mini Route and head back to KSNA John Wayne. Perform a full stop landing and taxi to Signature to complete the challenge.

Setup:

Two Classes: Beech Baron and Unlimited

Beech Baron - The default Baron in all simulators will be considered the base airplane for judging the challenge
Unlimited - "run what you brung" where if you can legitimately fly it on PE (say a vintage warbird) then you're in this class. NO JETS PLEASE - they are exempt from the Mini Route

1. Using the correct aircraft for the class/category, start on the ground at KSNA at the Signature ramp on the southwest side of the field.
2. Optional: set real world weather, but using CAVOK would be best to maintain level playing field.
3. Fuel and weight - one passenger at 170Lbs and fuel is up to you to calculate.
4. File an IFR flight plan with KSNA as the start and end so PEaware will log the flight.--NOTE--logistics of the PE environment may not allow
5. No stopping at an airport. Full stop=DQ

Results:

Post a reply to this topic with your PEaware flight link and notes on the flight.

Prizes:

0. Free week of VATSIM.
1. To be determined

Notes:

1. Feedback or clarifications? Post them here and I'll edit this post with updated rules and a start date.
2. The V-3 says land at Torrance, but to keep it simple (?) at the end, I'm suggesting landing at John Wayne.

MOAR Notes:

1. Some of the challenge is the delay in negotiating the Bravo clearances plus traffic and spacing issues.
2. Helicopters could have some fun as a photo mission, getting screen grabs of passing flights.
3. Coordinate with Twitch streamers for maximum coverage
Last edited by stevekirks on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
stealthbob

Re: [Proposed]VFR Madness - A V-Ratings Challenge

Post by stealthbob »

Love it! That is quite the challenge there...

One thought would be to have a couple of equipment classes, the thought of flying the default 172 for what would be a couple of hours would push me off of this challenge as laid out. Or you could have two categories, open class...just for the pride in completing or the pro version with the default 172 and of the rank for time.

For me I would like to do this in the Baron at minimum, or the Titian 404...hell even the Epic Victory.

Is the plan to make this a one day or weekend event? It would be cool to work with all that traffic, cool for the pilots that is.....not sure what PE staff would think of all that?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Not gonna lie, that is a great idea :)

I've wanted to have an event where the LAX transitions were getting hammered. The only thing that could make it better would be to have a stream of LAX arrivals, too. At that point, you the airspace around LAX starts looking real. For that to happen, we'd need the jet crowd to fly into LAX on schedule. That's not out of the question, though.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Regarding finishing the V-3 at SNA, that would be fine and would allow pilots to use something other than the mini-route for the flight back. Right now, the mini-route is used heavily on the return because any other transition is going to finish further away and higher than desired for a landing at TOA.

The thought occurs, though, the V1-V3 are going to die a painful death once the CAT ratings are released, so this would be a "get 'em while they're hot" type of event and a nice way to send them off.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

stealthbob wrote:Love it! That is quite the challenge there...

One thought would be to have a couple of equipment classes, the thought of flying the default 172 for what would be a couple of hours would push me off of this challenge as laid out. Or you could have two categories, open class...just for the pride in completing or the pro version with the default 172 and of the rank for time.

For me I would like to do this in the Baron at minimum, or the Titian 404...hell even the Epic Victory.

Is the plan to make this a one day or weekend event? It would be cool to work with all that traffic, cool for the pilots that is.....not sure what PE staff would think of all that?
Agree with all...

Let's say the Baron is the default aircraft, then "unlimited" to allow for warbird insanity. NO JETS due to Mini Route restriction (hat tip Peter)
Last edited by stevekirks on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I'm going to bring up 1 potential issue with tracking this.

In order for PEAware to track this completely for the entire flight the flight plan needs to be set as KSNA to KSNA.

However, when you go to ONT and VNY our controllers are likely to change your flight plan for internal tracking purposes, this will have the affect of deleting the progress up to that point in PEAware.

I'm sure if this gets serious we can find a way around this but I wanted to bring it up early.

Otherwise I like the flight.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith Smith wrote:Not gonna lie, that is a great idea :)

I've wanted to have an event where the LAX transitions were getting hammered. The only thing that could make it better would be to have a stream of LAX arrivals, too. At that point, you the airspace around LAX starts looking real. For that to happen, we'd need the jet crowd to fly into LAX on schedule. That's not out of the question, though.
So what if it was two runs on one day?

Early run: AvGas Nuts for the challenge and Slant Alpha for KLAX inbound airline flights to provide realistic traffic in the area. This would get the 732-727 etc crowd
Late run: Unlimited class for the challenge and Slant Lima for KLAX inbounds. This would likely break the will of pilots and controllers alike
Last edited by stevekirks on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

At this point, I need someone to fly the proposed challenge and get some time stamps on total time and time to waypoint. I'm buried with work during the day, and my nights this week are full. If there are any takers, let me know and I'll coordinate what I'm looking for...

Steve
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

I'm going to make a run at this on my stream tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. I'll probably do it in the Diamond Twin Star as I think having a bit of airspeed will make it a touch more interesting.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

tshuff wrote:I'm going to make a run at this on my stream tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. I'll probably do it in the Diamond Twin Star as I think having a bit of airspeed will make it a touch more interesting.
If you could keep a rough time log of each section complete, that would help to know if this is feasable -- example -- How long to complete the three laps of the pattern - start when you get the taxi instructions, end when you depart the pattern for Ontario

If I can be online and watch (real life permitting) I'll try to keep the log on my own.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge