[Proposed]VFR Madness - A V-Ratings Challenge

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
stealthbob

Re: [Proposed]VFR Madness - A V-Ratings Challenge

Post by stealthbob »

stevekirks wrote: If I can be online and watch (real life permitting) I'll try to keep the log on my own.

...there should be a VOD when he is done, also most of Cats streams end up on YouTube

Should be a fun stream Cat
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

stealthbob wrote:
stevekirks wrote: If I can be online and watch (real life permitting) I'll try to keep the log on my own.

...there should be a VOD when he is done, also most of Cats streams end up on YouTube

Should be a fun stream Cat
Oops! Forgot about that! Makes sense to do it that way...

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

We can always go back and record times after the fact.
tshuff

Post by tshuff »

We were lucky enough to have a few people doing this during my stream tonight and me say this: everyone should do this. It was extremely challenging and a real test of my skills. I definitely got behind the plane a number of times, but had the most fun that I've had on the network in a long time.

Thanks Steve for this suggestion. We should definitely get a group to do this again some night.

Edit: For the record, this took about an hour and a half in a twin engine plane (diamond da42).
Last edited by tshuff on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

tshuff wrote:We were lucky enough to have a few people doing this during my stream tonight and me say this: everyone should do this. It was extremely challenging and a real test of my skills. I definitely got behind the plane a number of times, but had the most fun that I've had on the network in a long time.

Thanks Steve for this suggestion. We should definitely get a group to do this again some night.
I concur. I went LGB-SNA and then flew the rest with the group (SNA-VNY-SNA). Really a great workout and very fun. I'm sure the controllers didn't expect this but they did an excellent job, as always.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Wow! I'm blown away! I was worried that it was going to be much longer.

I had suggested earlier in the thread that we'd run two classes, with the props going early and unlimited later the same night. Sounds like that might work. I'm loading up the recording now on Twitch. I'll be on to do this in the Lancair Legacy on FSX tomorrow night (wife's away) so I'll see if *I* can pull this off.

And, thanks for the compliment on the challenge structure.

Keith--Sounds like a perfect "April Fool's Day" event right? It's a Friday night and it would be yuuuuge....

That would also give you some time to arrange some coverage.
Last edited by stevekirks on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Just finished Ty's stream. Was amazing to even watch, let alone fly. I'll write up something tomorrow but you're going to need at least one more controller. Jets need to arrive LAX about 1 hour after the first pattern work starts.
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
Alphabet Challenge
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

This is great!

Still lots of work on the house and my wife is still in need of care after her operation, so I didn't get to do a flight since more than three months now. But I'm planning to do the V-3 asap, so this should be the ultimate training challenge for getting back in the saddle. :)
I'll try n to pull this off (i.e. not to fail completely) this weekend.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Someone asked me to do this in another thread so I did... Being me I decided to kick it up a notch. ;)

So you can mark this down as an entry in the unlimited class in the Bombardier Dash 8 Q400. I went for pure speed (sacrificing fine control of the aircraft) and also did it with no autopilot usage. The flight was legal to all relevant FARs

Video is here (in about 30 minutes from the post time): https://youtu.be/DFd_ZNLCZ3w

PE aware track is here: http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=141057

So I'm not sure how we are measuring time. If we measure by PEaware it's 0:59. If we measure from first call to back on ramp it's 1:02:48.

So which ever one of those you decide on mark me down for.

So in terms of my thoughts. I like the challenge, turning it into a formal event will be "tricky" mainly due to the high controller workload but Keith and I are working on how we can pull it off. I haven't flown the sim in months (as you can tell watching the video), so it was nice to get back into it.3

In terms of the raw speed aspect of it, the flight is 157 NM + 3 patterns. Most of the time you are restricted to 200 knots with a few parts where you can go 250. This means you can have an average of around 225 knots ignoring the pattern and slow downs for landing. So mathematically the best possible time is around 42 minutes + 3 patterns. I did my 3 patterns in 5 minutes so you get a hypothetical best of 47 minutes. I had a delay getting on course from ATC on my second departure from KSNA which cost me a minute or so. So there is time for improvement if someone wants to try to break my time.

Thanks for organizing this one!
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Ben L

Post by Ben L »

Joined in on Cats stream on Tuesday and to echo what he already said, its a total blast and a great test of skills. I, too, got behind the airplane on several occasions and definitely had the most GA fun I've had in quite some time on PE. Tuesday's flight was all for fun but Im entertaining the idea of tonight or tomorrow night doing for time in the BE58 since interest and participation is going...will post results.

Ben