I3 failure - circle RWY 33?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
yajna

I3 failure - circle RWY 33?

Post by yajna »

I just failed my I3 and I'm somewhat confused by a directive I got.

SoCal Approach cleared me with "ILS RWY 8 approach circle Runway 33". When I got near the OM (BUDDE), approach handed me to KBUR tower, which directed me to "Cleared ILS RWY 8, enter right downwind RWY 33, cleared to land RWY 33". I got flustered and made some stupid turns which disoriented me and sent me off on a random heading.

So, I guess RWY 33 was the active because of real-life winds at KBUR (currently 33016G25KT). Although in my sim I had winds calm and CAVOK there.

What's the right procedure when told "circle RWY 33" and you're already on an ILS for a different runway?
Kyle.Sanders

Re: I3 failure - circle RWY 33?

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Kyle Sanders
yajna

Post by yajna »

Thanks for the link!

Circle-to-land is an advanced topic covered in I10. Since I'm only up to I3, should I have advised ATC "winds are calm in my sim, request RWY 8 landing" or something similar?
ridikamus

Post by ridikamus »

That's definitely an awkward situation if you're using the I ratings to learn how to fly IFR since at the point you take the I-3 you haven't flown anything except vectors to ILS. Best thing that comes to mind would've been to request a visual approach since you could see the airport and the approach itself is not the point of the rating, but I could be wrong.
V-3 CAT-11 I-11
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

yajna wrote:should I have advised ATC "winds are calm in my sim, request RWY 8 landing" or something similar?
Definitely. Controllers will always assume you have real-world weather unless advised otherwise. However, as you point out, circling approaches are not introduced until the I-10. I'm sure we can expect Keith or Peter to weigh in and possibly review the results of your exam because of this.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

One of my biggest takeaway from the ratings was that you always need to be PIC Pilot in charge....

Yes, if something is not right ask, if you have contradictory weather let them know and they will accommodate.

I failed one of the ratings for just that, not speaking up....I got a strange approach "Sweet Water Visual" when I was expecting the "LOC RWY 27" as listed in the requirements for the rating. I stumbled and finally said I did not have the Sweet Water on board, I was then given another approach (forget which one) and said sure. The rating explicitly said take the LOC RWY 27 but I went along with what the controller gave instead.

It may look like I was trolled or set up, quite the contrary...it was a valuable lesson for exactly the situation you just experienced.

Always remember you are PIC
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I just failed my I3 and I'm somewhat confused by a directive I got.

SoCal Approach cleared me with "ILS RWY 8 approach circle Runway 33". When I got near the OM (BUDDE), approach handed me to KBUR tower, which directed me to "Cleared ILS RWY 8, enter right downwind RWY 33, cleared to land RWY 33". I got flustered and made some stupid turns which disoriented me and sent me off on a random heading.

So, I guess RWY 33 was the active because of real-life winds at KBUR (currently 33016G25KT). Although in my sim I had winds calm and CAVOK there.

What's the right procedure when told "circle RWY 33" and you're already on an ILS for a different runway?
This is a tricky one, obviously you didn't fly the circle or subsequent missed as published, but on the other hand that's not the point of this rating. Circling is covered on a later rating (the I-7) and missed approaches don't make an appearance until the I-10. Based on that I've gone ahead and given you credit for the I-3 as you met the core requirements of that rating.

The correct procedure as you were cleared would have been to overfly the airport at the circling minimums listed on the chart, turn right to enter the right downwind, then make a normal pattern to land on 33. More info on circling can be found in AIM 5-4-20 and 5-4-21.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
yajna

Post by yajna »

Thanks, Peter! Next time I'll be less shy about asking for a specific runway based on local sim weather -- it helps keep the number of learning variables down to a manageable level. And, I'm studying circling approaches, which is a pretty big can of worms all by itself.
jtek

Post by jtek »

Peter Grey wrote: The correct procedure as you were cleared would have been to overfly the airport at the circling minimums listed on the chart, turn right to enter the right downwind, then make a normal pattern to land on 33. More info on circling can be found in AIM 5-4-20 and 5-4-21.
Actually I think you'd want to enter a left downwind for 33, since the notes on the chart say "Circling NA northeast of Rwys 15 and 26". There is terrain on that side of the airport.
Josh Hinman
PPL ASEL IA (KSMO)
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

jtek wrote:
Peter Grey wrote: The correct procedure as you were cleared would have been to overfly the airport at the circling minimums listed on the chart, turn right to enter the right downwind, then make a normal pattern to land on 33. More info on circling can be found in AIM 5-4-20 and 5-4-21.
Actually I think you'd want to enter a left downwind for 33, since the notes on the chart say "Circling NA northeast of Rwys 15 and 26". There is terrain on that side of the airport.
Josh,

A right downwind for 33 would have you circling southeast of 15 and 26, so I'm pretty sure the right downwind entry for 33 is OK. It appears they want to keep you away from the 825 ft MSL control tower and higher terrain which is all on the northeast side. The missed approach also turns you southeast.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848