Altitude change at pilot's discretion ?

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Turner

Altitude change at pilot's discretion ?

Post by Turner »

Hi all-

Did the V2 and was given altitude at my discretion. I was at 4500 and noted to SoCal approach that I'd like to descend to 3500 after passing the mountain ridge (I was going via Paradise VOR). I was then told that because altitude was at my discretion, I didn't have to request an altitude change. It wasn't really a request, but noted.

In my RW flying, I'm used to transiting the relatively busy Philadelphia airspace, but even when outside the airspace, I've always been told to advise ATC on altitude changes.

Does that take place closer to the larger B airspaces in PE? I'm not sure what the threshold is for this.

thanks!
Andrew
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Altitude change at pilot's discretion ?

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

There seems to be two popular opinions on the subject, as far as I can see:

1__ report all cruise level changes because the AIM suggests it. (Keep in mind that "should" does not mean "required")

AIM 4-1.15.b.2
Pilots should also inform the controller when changing VFR cruising altitude.

2__ your ATC did say that it was at pilots discretion. Therefore you would only report changes if the ATC didn't say that such as "maintain appropriate VFR altitudes" or "report altitude changes".
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The debate is whether to report the change or not.

In this case, you requested the change, implying that you can't change altitudes unless atc approves it. This is not required unless you've been assigned a hard altitude.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Keith Smith wrote:The debate is whether to report the change or not.

In this case, you requested the change, implying that you can't change altitudes unless atc approves it. This is not required unless you've been assigned a hard altitude.
Thanks Keith.

Question then: I know you fly through PHL airspace too - is it just a regional preference that they don't (typically) assign transition altitudes, but still ask VFR pilots to report changes?
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Must be a regional thing

When I work radar many vfr pilots ask for lower, and we always wonder why. I guess when they fly elsewhere they get altitude assignments or something
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
Turner

Post by Turner »

Thanks Ryan.

As far as requesting lower, the only time I usually do that is if I need to begin a descent to an airport, and that's typically eastbound through PHL airspace crossing into New Jersey as my main airport is only a few minutes from there.

I don't think I'd request lower for x/c though, except because of weather.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Turner wrote: Question then: I know you fly through PHL airspace too - is it just a regional preference that they don't (typically) assign transition altitudes, but still ask VFR pilots to report changes?
I've been assigned hard altitudes for Bravo transitions of PHL. That's done to ensure separation between my airplane and the arrival/departure stream. In lieu of a hard assignment, though, if you'd like to change altitudes, then you can change altitudes. I generally report those changes (especially if told specifically to report prior to any altitude changes), unless I get the sense after the first report that they don't need to hear it. That said, outside of some rare weather instances, I'm not constantly climbing and descending. If anything it's just a steady descent from cruise to landing.

To be clear, "report prior to any altitude changes" doesn't mean you should "request lower". It means you should TELL the controller that you ARE descending/climbing to a new altitude.

The universal constant is that you don't need to request a specific altitude from ATC when you're VFR unless you have a hard altitude assignment.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Understood, thanks.
Keith Smith wrote:
Turner wrote: Question then: I know you fly through PHL airspace too - is it just a regional preference that they don't (typically) assign transition altitudes, but still ask VFR pilots to report changes?
I've been assigned hard altitudes for Bravo transitions of PHL. That's done to ensure separation between my airplane and the arrival/departure stream. In lieu of a hard assignment, though, if you'd like to change altitudes, then you can change altitudes. I generally report those changes (especially if told specifically to report prior to any altitude changes), unless I get the sense after the first report that they don't need to hear it. That said, outside of some rare weather instances, I'm not constantly climbing and descending. If anything it's just a steady descent from cruise to landing.

To be clear, "report prior to any altitude changes" doesn't mean you should "request lower". It means you should TELL the controller that you ARE descending/climbing to a new altitude.

The universal constant is that you don't need to request a specific altitude from ATC when you're VFR unless you have a hard altitude assignment.