I-03 routing questions

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
Turner

Re: I-03 routing questions

Post by Turner »

Thanks for the help everyone -

First, please note that I wasn't using the term "discrepancy" as a negative of any type, just to indicate a difference in what I was seeing in two different places.

Interesting to know that established VOR radials don't (or, at least, haven't) changed; I assumed they would be updated periodically! I haven't been using a GPS in the tasks (though I do use the RealityXP 430/530 otherwise) so wasn't comparing the numbers in practice.

Keith, thanks - I took a look at the area chart and see that.

wmburns, "Is it possible that you are over thinking this on some different levels?" - sure, it's possible, and likely! As noted, I haven't used GPS on these tests yet, but saw the difference in two number I expected to be identical, so it made me wonder. A few of the planes I fly for real have 430s, and I use the OBS setting somewhat frequently to extend radials and centerlines, but haven't tried it in PE yet. I haven't tried making route comparisons locally (in my home area) but will do so.

(It's still a little weird to me that the radial on the other side (311) is aligned just fine.)

This also addresses another thing I was thinking about:

From http://www.ocair.com/newsroom/news/2014/nr-2014-06-30

"Due to a gradual shift of the Earth’s magnetic poles, JWA’s runways will get new number designations. JWA’s commercial runway will become two left and two zero right (2L-20R), and the general aviation runway will become two right and two zero left (2R-20L)."

I figured that's probably what it was in that case, but again, figured that VORs would be updated, too. I guess many more things would be affected by "rotating" a VOR.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Hi Marcus – understood & thanks for the note.
Marcus Becker wrote:Do you actually file the radials? Yes. File them as they are published. Shortcuts or simple instructions can be given to any point or radial at any given time. Remember the I-2 rating flight route? Depending on your aircraft, your routing was V23 OCN, right? Not much different than filing a radial if you think about it.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's still a little weird to me that the radial on the other side (311) is aligned just fine.
Actually, it's exactly the same situation again. The T-245 terminal route has a published course of 314 from SMO to SILEX, whereas the radial reference is 311. Are you seeing something different?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you'd like to see the declination figure being assumed by a VOR, use http://airnav.com/navaids/

Enter the identifier for the VOR and you'll see the figure that's being used and the date it was set. Sea Isle (SIE) is 3 degs off (using 9W instead of 12W) and was set back in 1965. In my experience, the DTK on the GPS almost never matches the published radials on an airway for this very reason.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Keith Smith wrote:
It's still a little weird to me that the radial on the other side (311) is aligned just fine.
Actually, it's exactly the same situation again. The T-245 terminal route has a published course of 314 from SMO to SILEX, whereas the radial reference is 311. Are you seeing something different?
Yes - I see it now. The area chart is really helpful.

I'll look at this more closely & try plotting in a few different applications.

[edit: just tried this in the AOPA (Jepp) planner, and it gave an magnetic heading and course for the T245 of 313.]

Sea Isle: great reference! I use that a lot so will have a look.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I know I'm a little late to the party but here's a link to a post I made a while ago on this topic (VOR Declination)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3956&p=25196
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Turner

Post by Turner »

Peter Grey wrote:I know I'm a little late to the party but here's a link to a post I made a while ago on this topic (VOR Declination)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3956&p=25196
Thank you!